Chapter Twenty

FREE RECAP FOR TAKING SO LONG TO UPDATE!

Adara has been freed (thanks to Liana) from Elondra's captivity and she has ventured to the Cauldron of Enchantment to save Danyl. Danyl is being held captive by Elondra's son, Jiem, who refuses to free Adara's beloved prince-turning-king. In Adara's best efforts, she has pinned Jiem to the ground (whilst Danyl is still chained up), however she has just spotted the Togre.

So without further ado, here is chapter twenty:

TWENTY

Jiem squirmed underneath me as he panted and tried to push me away. I could feel his chest rising and falling underneath the weight of my calloused and dirtied hands. He was younger than me, but a lot tougher.

But I wasn't focussing on that.

Before me, stood the rigid, tinned, grotesque sight.

The togre stood at least three metres tall, looking like a failed attempt at a father-son robot project that'd been left in a garage for decades. Its eyes were a deep red, and I swore they were like lazered buttons sewn through tin, had that been possible.

My breath was caught in my throat and I had approximately zero brainwaves at that moment.

Danyl was frowning, fear practically exploding through his endearing eyes, as he too focussed on the malicious sight before us.

"You have to get out of here, Adara!" He yelled to me, failing to cease my eye-contact with the tin mess.

"I'm not leaving you here, Danyl." I replied softly, snapping my head to his attention.

Beneath me, Jiem continued to squirm. "Do it, Adara, leave. Leave without him." He cackled.

I set a fist into his chest as I watched his wry smile die to a hate-filled frown. I couldn't help but feel guilty; he was ever so young. But it wasn't important. Danyl was chained up, I was in charge of keeping Jiem underneath me, and the Togre was sprinting towards us at full pelt, its tinned feet clamping to the ground with earsplitting thuds.

He appeared to grow taller with each step he took. "How do I stop it, Jiem?" I demanded, peircing my fingernails into his skin.

I knew my failure to clip them - much to Mother's disgust - would come in handy one day.

His face scrunched as he shook his head. "I can't tell you that." He choked out.

"Tell. Me. Now!" I instructed, digging my nails further into his pure skin. "How do I stop it from hurting Danyl?!"

Jiem struggled to laugh, but his smile grew wider. "You needn't worry about Danyl, the togre will come for you first. He likes girls."

My heart sunk as I allowed my impending death to sink in. There was nothing I could do. I wasn't strong, I wasn't a hero, I wasn't even meant to be in this stupid fantasy world that I still wasn't convinced actually existed. I was probably dreaming.

Then it hit me.

Jiem could control the Togre, Jiem was underneath me, and the Togre was coming straight my way.

"Find water, Adara!" Danyl yelled breathlessly. "Water! Rust! Rust him!"

"Tin doesn't rust, Danyl!" I screeched, recalling my chemistry lessons at school where Timmy Jones had forced me into being his partner. "Besides, I have an idea."

"You are both fools." Jiem laughed, his voice becoming more and more hoarse with every bit of weight I pressed onto his tiny frame.

As the ground shook even more beneath me, I allowed my eyes to focus on the scattered tin mess running towards me. It was moments before impact. Come on, Jiem, don't let yourself be flattened, I thought.