Taken

We spend the day talking and hanging around and when the sun starts to set, we grab my bag and walk over to Bucky's house. I'm hugged by the Barnes and Steve helps me to my room. I get ready for bed and Steve sits on the edge as I sit down. He covers me up and kisses my forehead. "I'll miss you," Steve whispers. "I'll write whenever I can."

"I'll do the same. Promise you'll come back and we'll be a family again." He pets my hair. "Please."

"I promise. I will always come back to you. No matter what. Wait for me. One day, you'll meet a great man and I'll be here to walk you down the aisle."

I wrap my arms around him and he does the same. I start crying on his shoulder. "I love you."

"I love you too. Be careful, alright?"

"I promise but only if you do, too."

"I promise. I'll be back soon," Steve says. He moves off the bed and towards the door.

"Good bye, Steve."

"Good bye, Annabelle." He kisses my forehead one more time before closing the door on his way out. As the front door opens and closes, I softly sob to myself. I already miss him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It's been a few weeks since Steve left. Mrs. Barnes helps me send a letter to him every week and reads the ones he wrote. I carry every letter he sends with me. I hear a knock on the door of the apartment. No footsteps ring through the house so I walk towards the door. "Who is it?"

"I have a delivery for a Mrs. Barnes with me." I hear the voice through the door and it sounds unthreatening.

"She's not home right now."

"That's fine. I don't need a signature." I put the chain on the door and open it. I stick my hand out and he lets out a chuckle. "I'm sorry, miss. You need to open the door. The package won't fit through."

"Can you just leave it on the mat?" I ask.

"Sure." I hear him set something down and walk away. I unlock the door and take the package. The man shoves his way through the door and something covers my face. I smell something sweet before I feel dizzy. I try to scream but nothing comes out. I fall to the floor and my eyes close. The last thing I hear is him laughing before I fall unconscious.

When I wake up, I'm lying on something hard. I sit up and crawl around. I'm in a cage. "Hello?!" I scream, my voice hoarse and sore. "Is anyone here?" I hear the door open and I crawl away until I'm at the bars. "Who's there? Where am I? Why am I here?"

I hear the same laugh from earlier. "You are here because we need you. You are our leverage against Captain America. Why would America's hero not want to protect young, blind girl?"

"I'll do what you want, please, just don't hurt me," I plead.

"You have nothing to fear. We are not interested in torturing you. You will be our guinea pig until he comes to save you."

"I don't even know who Captain America is. Why would he save me?"

"I do not need to answer your questions, now be quiet." I stay quiet and he walks away. The door makes giant slam as the man leaves. I sit there and feel around. I cover myself in the thin blanket left for me and sit against the wall, shaking and terrified.

Weeks pass and I notice a routine. They bring me small portions for meals. I get breakfast before physical tests, then I'm returned to my cell. Lunch is given and I'm sent back for mental test. After dinner, I'm given ten minutes for a quick shower before I'm sent back to my cage, guarded by a few men. They talk of the feats Captain America has accomplished against them. I think my brother would have loved to meet him.

I sit on the floor, curled under my blanket. I've been trying to count the days. If I'm right, soon it will be my birthday. I cry and think about my brother. He probably thinks I hate him right now. I haven't gotten to send him a letter in weeks. I miss him so much. I hear my cell open and am confused. Why are they coming back this late?

"We have news for you. No one will come for you. Captain America is dead. Tomorrow, you'll have your last test." I hide my smile as the door closes. I can't wait for tomorrow and for this all to be over. I just want to see my brother again and put this all behind me.

The next morning, I'm woken up by a man coming into my cage and yanking my arm. I sit up and food is dumped onto my lap. "Hurry up and eat." I eat as fast as I can and he grabs my arms as I chew my last bites. That was more food than I've gotten for one meal. He drags me down the hall and I'm shoved into something. I feel around. It's a small metal tube, just big enough for me to lie down in.

"Hello? What's going on? Why am I in here?" I start getting cold and I try to curl into as small of a space as possible. My teeth chatter and I shiver uncontrollably. After a few minutes, I can't feel my fingers. "What are you doing to me?" I never get a reply. I feel my body relax and I can't feel my arms. I feel cold seep completely through me and I fall asleep.

��F�P\-����