Chapter one

(Louis's POV)

Glass windows let the sunlight pour inside the tiny apartment. It makes the place glow and intrigues me even more. I'll be starting uni this Fall and I really need a place to call my own. I've been looking for a job lately, and even though I haven't found one yet, I'm hoping that I'll get one soon. Until then, I have a loan from the bank and my parents scrapped some money for me too.

"What do you think, Mr. Tomlinson?" the relater asks. She has bobbed blond hair and rosy cheeks. Her lips are covered in a thick layer of ruby red lipstick. She holds a clip board in her hand.

I glance around the apartment again. "I'm not sure, Lisa," I say honestly.

She flashes me a hopeful smile. "It's a great deal, if I do say so myself. Two bedrooms, one bath, a large kitchen . . . it's a steal for the price," she insists.

"How soon could I move in?" I ask her.

"Next week."

"That's not so bad," I comment, more to myself than her.

"What do you say, Mr. Tomlinson? Do you want to make this place your new home?" she asks eagerly. She's a good saleswoman, I'll give her props to that. I came here today just to look. I wasn't even considering renting it, but she managed to change my mind.

I look around the medium sized apartment one last time. It's fairly large and considering the price, it's a bargain. There's even a fireplace. Of course, it's not in use right now, considering it's boiling hot right now. It's only the beginning of June but the heat is already unbearable.

I think about all of the memories Harry and I could make here. I glance over towards the bedroom- that would be our bedroom. I look over at the living rom and imagine us cuddling on the couch. The kitchen is quite big as well. It would be plenty big for Harry to cook in.

Harry wouldn't perminately live here with me, of course. He's only seventeen, after all; however, he could stay here every other day or however long his mum lets him. I haven't told him about my plans to rent the apartment, though. I want it to be a surprise. The best part is that it's within walking distance from Harry's place, and it's only a ten minute walk or so.

I turn to Lisa. "I'll take it," I say.

She grins, telling me that I made a good choice. She hands me the clipboard and I scribble my signature across the form.

"I will be sure to call you in a few days. Then we can finalize everything and figure out a financial plan," she tells me. She holds out her hand and I shake it, mumbling a quick 'thank you'.

"Have a nice day," I tell her.

"You too."

I turn out the door and head out to my car. As I sit in the parking lot, I pull out my phone and decide to give Harry a call. It rings only once before he answers.

"Hey babe," his voice says through the phone.

"Hi. Where are you at?" I reply.

"I'm at home. Jenna and I are making a batch of brownies-" I hear Jenna's voice echo in the background. Harry laughs and tells her to be quiet. "Anyway, Jenna and I are baking brownies for my mum's book group. Why? Do you wanna do something today?" he asks.

"Yeah, actually. I was thinking that we could just hang out," I tell him.

"Sounds good. My father is out of the house for a meeting, so do you want to come over here?" he suggests.

I tell him that I'll be there in a few minutes.

Momentarily, I find myself at Harry's front porch pressing the buzzer on his door. I'm thankful that there's a canopy above me because I can already feel beeds of sweat dripping down my forehead. In a few moments, Jenna opens the door. She smiles at me, her ocean blue eyes twinkling in the sunlight.

"Hey," she grins.

"Hi."

"You probably don't wanna stay out there too long. It's incredibly hot out there . . . don't want you to get sun burned. Harry's dad is out for a meeting, don't worry. You can come inside," she says, stepping to the side. I step in and thank her. I immediately walk in the direction of the kitchen where I can distinctly hear Harry's voice echoing off the walls.

I step inside and find Harry stirring a ceramic red mixing bowl with a large spoon. He looks up and smiles at me.

"Hey baby," he grins.

I walk up to him and lean on the granite counter tops. "Hey," I mutter. I stick my finger into the thick brown batter and lick it. It tastes good- really good. I absolutely love Harry's cooking.

"Mm, tastes good," I comment.

Harry just shoos me away. "Stop it, Lou. This is for my mum's book club." he scolds.

I pout.. "You're no fun."

Jenna walks in just as Harry starts pouring the batter into a large pan. "Did Harry tell you about Zayn and Alex?" she wonders.

Harry turns around and glares at Jenna "I haven't told him yet!" Harry grits. Jenna just frowns.

"Huh? What about 'em?" I ask curiously.

"It's not really important, it's just that Alex and Zayn left today," Harry says.

"Left?"

"Yeah, you know, for their trip of romance around the world or whatever," he scoffs, rolling his eyes at the cheesiness of it all.

"Really? Where are they going first?" I ask.

"Hm, I think Zayn said they're going back to Ireland for a while to meet Alex's family, but then they're going to France, then Germany, then America, and then 'wherever their love takes them,'" Harry says, putting finger quotations around the last few words. I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Alex's words, not mine," Harry defends himself. I just chuckle.

"Well, I'm happy for them. Maybe we can go to France some day, Haz," I smile.

"Maybe some day . . . after I graduate and you finish uni," he suggests.

"You two are so adorable, sometimes I think I might get a cavity from being in the same from as you two," Jenna says. She sticks her finger in her mouth and pretends to throw up. Harry folds his arms over his chest.

"If you're so disgusted, then leave," he argues.

Jenna shakes her head. "I'm not disgusted . . . it's just kinda like I'm watching my little brother flirt with his boyfriend . . . it's a bit odd," she explains. Harry laughs and puts the brownie pan into the hot oven. He sets the oven timer. The smell of chocolate floats in the air and I feel my mouth watering because I haven't eaten anything since breakfast this morning- and that was just half of a croissant that I split with Lottie.

"Harry, can you do me a favor?"

"Yeah, of course," Harry smiles, flashing her his dimples.

"Well, I have to go water the garden in the court yard. Can you take out the brownies when the timer goes off?"

"Sure," he says. Jenna thanks him and takes off her oven mits. She leaves the kitchen and I hear her footsteps descending down the hallway.

"I didn't know you had a court yard," I comment.

Harry shrugs. "I didn't think it was important. It's my mum's, anyway. I've only been inside there a couple times."

"Oh."

I guess this is the perfect opportunity to ask him what he thinks about the apartment. We're all alone now.

"So, I have to ask you something" I say, changing the subject.

"Mhm?"

"Well, actually . . . you know how I'm starting uni this fall? And I need a place to stay?" I start off.

"I thought you were staying with your parents?"

"That was origonally the plan but . . . lately I've been thinking that maybe I want a place of my own," I say. Harry opens up the cabinet and pries his hands through the contents. Eventually, he pulls out a bag of powdered sugar.

Harry tilts his head up. "Really?"

"Yeah. I mean, I got a loan from the bank and my parents scraped up some money for me. I've been looking for a job, too," I say.

"Oh, well, that sounds great," he says, not giving it much thought.

"And actually, I found a place. I signed the papers and everything. I can cancel the deal- I have twenty four hours- but it's a really good price. Also, it's only a short walk from here. It's actually perfect, Haz," I say, rambling on and on.

He looks up, his eyes widening. "You found an apartment?" he asks.

"Yes. It was kind of a rash decision, I know, but it was a really great bargain," I say.

"That sounds great. You'll be closer to me," he says, flashing me a quick smile.

"Mhm . . . and, y'know, I was thinking that maybe you could kind of share it with me," I say all in one breath. Harry freezes in his place. He drops the bag of powdered sugar and i t spills everywhere on the floor, causing me to step back.

"Harry?" I ask quietly. He just continues to stare at me in shock.

"Like move in?" he asks cautiously.

"Well, not really. You could stay every now and then. Not permanently but it could sort of be your home away from home, yeah? What do you think?"

"I think that's a great idea, Lou!" he laughs.

"Really?"

"Yes! Of course! We could see each other more often," he smiles. He steps closer and snakes his arms around my neck.

"Good. I'm glad you're okay with it. I was thinking you could come with me to check out the place tomorrow. It's really nice for the price."

He smiles. "I love you,"

"Love you too."

He leans in and pecks my lips. I melt into his kiss and bite on his bottom lip, tugging lightly on his curls, and I slip my tongue past the barrier of his red swollen lips when a sharp, loud ring interrupts us.

Damned oven timer.

Harry pulls away in surprise, biting my lip in the process. He mutters an apology and switches off the oven. He takes out the brownie pan and rests it on the counter, allowing it to cool off. The scent of chocolate fills the air and I feel my stomach growling. He then proceeds to cut the brownies into squares.

He prys one out of the pan and thrusts it at me. "Hungry?"

I take it and smile. "Definitely."

I basically shove the entire thing into my mouth, devouring it greedily. Harry just laughs and eats one, too. I wipe the crumbs off of my chin. It was really good. I go to take another one, but Harry slaps my hand.

"Hey, they're for my mum's book club. Only one each. We have to save the rest," he scolds.

I just pout, batting my eyelashes. I stick out my bottom lip and flicker my eyes at him. Harry just frowns, crossing his arms over his chest.

"That's not going to work, Lou."

I just continue to give him the innocent-puppy-dog look. Harry's expression softens and he sighs deeply, rolling his eyes.

"Fine, you can have one more," he gives in.

I take another brownie and give Harry a sheepish grin.

"Victory is mine."