"Oh, and by the way, you suck at flirting"

I Solemnly Swear 1

{All characters, places, objects, spells, things, etc belong to J.K Rowling, apart from those which I have made up. I take no credit for anything J.K Rowling has created.}

Chapter 1:

Hi, my name is Eleanor Jade Miller. But people just call me Nora. I have long blonde hair, blue eyes, and slightly tanned skin. I am average height and quite skinny.

I am fun, loving, stubborn, caring, happy, enthusiastic, determined, bubbly, resilient, I have a short temper and I love to laugh.

My parents were killed by Bellatrix Lestrange when I was two. I was out with my nana when it happened. Shortly after, my nana died of shock and I was put into magical foster care, till I was five and I got adopted by the two most loving adoptive parents I could ask for. Of course, I was little when all this happened and I didn't remember so when it was explained to me when I was 11, I was so upset that I decided to bin the idea of being homeschooled by my muggleborn adoptive parents. Instead, I accepted the Beauxbatons Academy acceptance letter and went to magic school in France.

My school life was tough in my first year, because I had only moved to France when I was 10, I got teased a bit for my British accent. About halfway through the school year I met a witch named Melanie Thompson who became my very best friend. She was the one who convinced me to accept my adoptive parent's apologies. The next three years of my school life were amazing, I got good grades, had a good friend, and in my 4th year I was even dating a wizard from a school called Durmstrang, who would get his older brother to apparate him to a lake that I could get to easily from school. Life was good.

In my fifth year, things started to go from good to bad and from bad to worse. Melanie moved to America, my boyfriend, Alex, broke up with me, and I started to get bullied at school. These three girls – Gemma, Emma and Zoey - who were the "populars" would steal or hide my belongings, call me names, hex me, push me, and turn everyone against me. All because a little prank I played on them went slightly wrong and the leader, Gemma, ended up with green hair for a month. I suffered through it for a year but when they broke my wand, my adoptive parents decided they were pulling me from Beauxbatons and sending me to Hogwarts for my 6th year.

~

I took a deep breath, my eyes never leaving the solid brick wall in front of me. "Just run right through the brick wall that separates platform 9 and platform 10" they said. Sure, run right through a solid brick wall to get to some mystery platform? Why not? It's not like I actually wanted to live or anything! Just take a deep breath, Nora, I told myself, just take a deep breath and everything will be ok... No it won't! I'm supposed to be going to my new school, and I can't even find the right train platform! Ugh, today is not my day.

As I was fretting over how to get onto platform 9 3/4, I spotted a family with platinum-blond hair and superior expressions approach the brick wall and wall right through it. I blinked a few times but they did not appear anywhere else that I could see. Should I try it? It might actually work, but then again, it might just rearrange a few of my facial features.

"Excuse me, miss, can I pet your owl?" While I was deciding what to do, a little boy who looked about 6 had come up to my trolley and was staring in awe at my owl, Aladdin.

"Sure, but only if that is ok with your parents." I smiled up at the man and woman who stood behind their son.

"Of course it is fine, what is he for?" The mother asked me.

"Uh... I am taking him to compete in uh... The world's best bird competition..." I lied, taking Aladdin out of his cage and resting him on my arm so the boy could pat him.

"What is his name?" The boy asked with a gap-toothed smile.

"Aladdin, and sorry but I must be going now or I will miss my train." I replied, it was 10:48 so I needed to at least try to find my platform.

"Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't realise you were short on time!" The boy's mother apologised.

"It's ok," I smiled.

"I was waiting for someone anyway but now I have to go, sorry. Bye!" I lied, putting my pitch black owl back in his cage. The family walked off and I turned to face the brick wall again. Before I could over think it too much, I ran towards the wall with my eyes closed.

I opened my eyes when I realised I hadn't hit anything. The sight that greeted my eyes was amazing. Families were bustling around, saying goodbye and helping each other onto the train, friends were meeting up, and latecomers like me were hurriedly lifting their trunks into compartments on the scarlet train that clearly read: The Hogwarts Express.

I pushed my trolley over to the train and heaved my trunk onto it. I lifted Aladdin's cage in one hand and hopped up onto the train, grabbing my trunk in the other hand and setting off to look for a compartment.

Walking down the train, I got a few stares from some students - mainly bitchy looking girls and creepy looking guys. I kept my head down and searched for an empty compartment. Finally, I found one right down the end of the train. I put my luggage in and sat down in the corner, plugging my headphones into my iPod and playing some music.

Yeah, I know, I'm a witch so I shouldn't know about iPods and muggle things, but actually, even though I am pureblood, my adoptive parents are muggleborn so I was raised around that sort of stuff. I actually think it is amazing how muggles can make something as small as an iPod, hold so many songs and games and things, it's brilliant!

The train sped past fields of cows and sheep, lakes of crystal blue water, mountains capped with snow, and forests of leafy green trees. I rested in the corner of my compartment, ate lunch from the trolley, and rested some more. Finally, when the lanterns all flicked on, I changed into my Hogwarts robes and packed all my gear up. My tie was plain black and grey stripes. Apparently, once you get sorted into a house, your tie will change to that house's colours.

The train stopped and I hopped out, leaving my luggage behind after a voice had floated through the train saying that all our gear would be taken to the castle separately. Heavy sheets of rain were being emptied out of the heavens and I shuddered, pulling my cloak around me for warmth. It was so dark I could hardly see where I was supposed to go.

"Firs'-years! Firs'-years! Over 'ere firs'-years!" A large man called over the heads of the students, he looked a bit savage but when I saw him talking to a few students, he seemed to be kind enough. I went over to him, unsure what to do.

"Excuse me? Where do I go? I am a transfer." I asked him, my teeth chattering in the cold.

"'Ello there! You can go on the carriages unless you want to go on the boats!" The man said cheerily.

"I think I will go in the carriages, thanks. Oh and by the way, I'm Eleanor Miller." I said politely, not fancying a ride in an open boat across a deep cold lake in this weather.

"I'm Rubeus Hagrid, care of magical creatures, you gonna be in any of me lessons?"

"No, I didn't get to choose my extra subjects and I got stuck with Ancient Runes and Divination. See you!"

"Bye!" Hagrid grinned as I made my way over to the carriages. I climbed into one and sat down, waiting for someone else to come in. The cold was seeping through my clothes, along with the water, and I couldn't wait till we were inside the Hogwarts boundaries and I could perform a drying spell.

Soon enough, the door of the carriage opened and a girl who looked about my age, with bright pink and blue hair climbed in. She shook out her brilliant hair and then looked up at me and grinned, holding out a hand.

"Hey, I haven't seen you before! I'm Lyric Ember, Gryffindor sixth-year! And you are-?"

"Eleanor Miller, but you can call me Nora. I'm a transfer from Beauxbatons." I shook her hand.

"Oh, really? What's it like there? Why did you decide to transfer? Why don't you sound French? Oh and I love your name!" Lyric bounced up and down on her seat.

"Its nice there, but it feels too fancy, fragile, too... Perfect, like you can't do anything wrong and like if you touch something it might just break... It didn't really feel like home... And I decided to transfer because I got bullied last year, they even broke my wand! I'm over it now but my adoptive parents wanted me to move and I reckon it will be kinda nice to have a fresh start. I was born in England and moved to France when I was ten, I guess I just never picked up the accent, even though I had to speak French pretty much all the time... And thanks! But yours is cooler!" I tried to keep up with Lyric's questions and she seemed satisfied with the answers.

"Oh, that's cool, I guess. What house do you want to be in?" We jolted forward as the carriages started moving. I wondered how they moved by themselves because there was no visible creature tied to the harnesses.

"I don't really know, I haven't heard much about them - refresh me?"

"Well, personally, Gryffindor is the best and we are mostly all like brave and noble and stuff. Ravenclaw isn't that bad but most of them are pretty much a bunch of goody-two-shoes, nerdy swots. They are the brainy house, mind you they're pretty much useless because Hogwarts' smartest student - Hermione Granger - is in Gryffindor!" Lyric grinned proudly.

"Hufflepuffs are nice and stuff but they aren't really the best at anything - Hufflepuff is usually where everyone who can't be sorted into another house goes - they are pretty loyal or something like that - I can't quite remember what the hat said-"

"Hat?"

"Yeah, the sorting hat. You put it on your head and it goes through your mind and puts you in a house. The sorting ceremony is before the beginning of term feast. Anyway, the last house is Slytherin-"

"And that's where all the evil, pureblood maniac, psychotic bastards go. Yeah, that's pretty much what I got when my adoptive parents explained it to me - 'it doesn't matter which house you are in, honey, as long as it isn't Slytherin because they are all evil bastards' - I'm pretty sure my adoptive parents were Gryffindors." I finished off Lyric's sentence, impersonating my adoptive fathers voice and laughing along with Lyric at the end.

"So where are all your friends? I mean, you are pretty awesome so you have to have loads of friends!" I asked.

"Well, I don't really have one best friend, I haven't found anyone I just click with like that! I kinda drift around, mainly I hang out with the other Gryffindors in our year - Katie Bell, Angelina Johnson, Alicia Spinnet, Lee Jordan, Jason Jacks..." Lyrics voice went all dreamy and she gazed off out the steamy window with a far-away expression.

"Uhh, hello? Earth to Lyric? You in there?" I waved a hand in front of her face.

"Seems like someone has a little crush on this Jason Jacks... Is he hot?" I winked and Lyric blushed.

"Hell yeah! And uhh... I only kinda have a teensy crush... Maybe a little... But only since the end of last year." Lyric giggles.

"Ha. So is that it?" I ask, referring to the Gryffindors in our year. I am now kinda hoping for Gryffindor as my house.

"Yep! Oh, and the Weasley twins - Fred and George - they are the hottest sixth-years in the school and the biggest pranksters! Every girl in their right mind fancies them." She informed me. Ugh, they sound like arrogant players.

"Hey, do you wanna be friends?!" Lyric blurted out.

"Like, best friends!?" She grinned at me.

"Of course!" I laughed and hugged her.

"I do hope I get into Gryffindor now! Oh, where do I go when we get inside?" I asked as we hoped out of the carriage that had just stopped.

"Just go with the first years!" Lyric called back over the loud noise of the rain as we hurried to get inside the castle.

"AHHH!" People screamed as balloons of water popped over their heads, just inside the castle doors. I looked up to see a short man wearing a funny hat, floating in mid-air. He was holding a bucket of water balloons and aiming them - quite well - at the students.

"Who's that?" He seemed like the type of person to make friends with, he would be a great help in some pranks I have planned.

"Peeves. He's the school poltergeist, quite the troublemaker. He's pretty hilarious actually." Lyric stated, dragging me through the large doors and into the dry safety of the castle. A strict-looking woman started yelling at Peeves but I was too bust checking out the entrance hall.

I gasped in awe at the amazing sight before me. This entrance hall was amazing! At least three large houses could have fit in it! The stone walls were lit with flaming torches and the ceiling was too high to make out, but the best part was the massive marble staircase that led to the upper floors. It was magnificent.

I followed the shortest person I could find into a side chamber while Lyric went into the great hall. I ended up being the only person in the room who was taller than a leprechaun.

The strict-looking woman came in and introduced herself as Professor McGonagall. She gave us a huge big lecture on behaving and following rules that I wouldn't have obeyed anyway so I just zoned out into my excited and slightly nervous thoughts on what house I would be in.

"Now, you, Miss Miller, will be sorted before everyone else because there are no other transfers this year. Everyone line up and follow me." Professor McGonagall said and I slipped behind a titchy first-year girl. I waved my wand over myself, wanting to make a good impression, and my robes were instantly dry, along with my hair.

We followed McGonagall into the great hall and I was breathless. Along the length of the hall were four long tables, one for each house, and at the end along the top of the hall was the staff table. Millions of candles were suspended in mid-air, giving the room a warm glow, but the ceiling was just beautiful, reflecting the night sky perfectly, although at the moment the sky was full of rain clouds. It was amazing, not as big as Beauxbatons but way nicer and it felt more homely and friendly.

Professor McGonagall brought forward a small stool and a old, patched hat. I'm guessing this is the sorting hat that Lyric told me about.

Suddenly, the brim of the hat ripped open and it started to sing:

"A thousand years or more ago,
When I was newly sewn,
There lived four wizards of renown,
Whose names are still well known:

Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor,
Fair Ravenclaw, from Glen,
Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad,
Shrewd Slytherin, from Fen.

They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,
They hatched a daring plan,
To educate young sorcerers,
Thus Hogwarts school began.

Now each of these four founders formed their own house,
For each did value different virtues in the ones the had to teach.

By Gryffindor, the bravest were prized far beyond the rest;
For Ravenclaw, the cleverest would always be the best;
In Hufflepuff, hard workers were most worth of admission;
And power-hungry Slytherin, loved those of great ambition.

While still alive they did divide their favourites from the throng,
Yet how to pick the worthy ones when they were dead and gone?

'Twas Gryffindor who found the way,
He whipped me off his head,
The founders put some brains in me,
So I could choose instead!

Now slip me snug about your ears,
I've never yet been wrong,
I'll have a look inside your mind and tell where you belong!"
The whole hall burst into applause at the finish of the song and McGonagall stood up with a piece of paper. She addressed the hall.

"First up to be sorted is Eleanor Miller, a sixth-year transfer from Beauxbatons." I walked over to the stool and sat down on it, feeling like an idiot because it was so tiny. McGonagall placed the hat on my head.

"Hmm another prankster eh? You'll fit in well with the Weasley's, that's for sure..." I jumped as I realised the hat was talking to me in my head.

"Hmm, you're a hard one girl... Definitely not Slytherin, or Ravenclaw - you don't use your brains - so what will it be, Hufflepuff or Gryffindor - ah, stupid question - GRYFFINDOR!" The hat yelled out the last word and the Gryffindor table burst into applause. I smile and happily walked down to sit at a spot in between Lyric and a dark-skinned boy with dreadlocks.

"I'm Lee Jordan," he spoke, holding out a hand.

"But a pretty thing like you can call me whatever you want." He smiled at me and I held back laughter at the failed attempt at flirting and the cheesy line. Lyric laughed next to me and whispered

"He's friends with the twins, you know, the hot ones I told you about! He's fancied by loads of girls too." I giggled and shook Lee's hand.

"Why thank you!" I said in a high-pitched, girly voice, I giggled again and flashed Lee a sugary-sweet smile. I leaned over and whispered right up in his ear.

"Oh, and by the way, you suck at flirting." Lyric heard and burst into laughter with me at Lee's bright red face. A young red haired boy sitting across the table looked at us.

"What's funny?" He asked bluntly.

"Lee's flirting." Lyric said.

"Oh. Well that explains it." Said a black-haired boy, sitting next to the redhead. A girl with bushy brown hair and rather large front teeth said

"Guys! Stop being so mean! Oh, hello, I'm Hermione Granger and this is Ronald Weasley and Harry Potter." She introduced herself and friends.

"Oh, hey! I'm Eleanor but people just call me Nora. And OMG Harry Potter as in THE Harry Potter? Like, the chosen one, the boy who lived! I'm such a huge fan!" I put on a fake excited voice and Harry looked slightly scared and kind of pissed off, not that I blame him with all the unwanted attention he probably gets.

"Just kidding." I laughed and Harry looked relieved.

"It's fun to mess with you guys while you haven't figured me out yet!"

The rest of the evening was a bit of a blur, I made friends with Lee and Harry, Ron and Hermione, even though they are in fourth-year, Dumbledore gave a speech on how there would be this tri-wizard tournament thing and Beauxbatons and Durmstrang would be coming here (just when I thought I could escape my past), a creepy teacher who had one real eye and one magic eye came in, I ate dinner, I ate loads of dessert, I got shown to the Gryffindor common room and to our dorm by Lyric, and I went to sleep. I know, super exciting. But one thing was for sure, I already felt more at home than I ever had at Beauxbatons, I was on my way to a good life.

Authors Note:

Hey! So this is my new fanfic!! I hope you enjoy it! I am really excited about this!

So, I am really sorry that I haven't updated Untraceable for ages but I have had no inspiration to write it  and when I do get inspiration then I promise I will write a shit-load :) I am also having trouble working on the bonus wedding chapter for Free Falling but I will get it up when I can :)

So... Hope you enjoyed this chapter :) picture of Lyric to the side :D [I do not actually own the picture, I got it off tumblr as well as my cover, so no copyright intended and yeah... :) ]