Chapter Four

Sam looked a little crazy eyed.

"Whoa there cowboy! Put that up," Jasmine hurried into the living room, her family behind her.

Sam stared at her, his eyes wide and quickly put his gun up.

"Sorry, I'm , I didn't mean, sorry," He stammered as Ruby and May slowly got up from the floor.

"It's okay," May said sheepishly.

"We didn't mean to wake you," Ruby added blushing.

"Why?" Sam looked at Jasmine.

"You fell asleep and I didn't have the heart to wake you so I decided we could spend the night here," Jasmine explained.

"No! You should have woken me! I could have killed one of your sisters!" Sam said shaken.

"It's okay, I sometimes have the same reaction," Jasmine said coming toward him.

Unconsciously Sam took a couple of steps back.

Jasmine stopped and frowned at him.

"It's okay, it's not your fault," May spoke up, seeing he was pale.

"Yeah, so don't worry about it. The girls know better than that anyways," Davy said smiling at him and talking soothing like he would to a crying toddler.

Sam flushed and grabbed his jacket, embarrassed.

For such a big man he sure was tenderhearted.

"Thank you for letting me sleep," He said and quickly put his jacket on.

"I'm really sorry for scaring you girls," He told Ruby and May.

They smiled sheepishly.

"Sam! Wait where are you going? We're having breakfast," Jasmine cried out when he headed for the front door.

"I think I'd better go, I imposed long enough," Sam said uncomfortable.

"No, stay I'm cooking my specialty," Kathy said coming up to him and grabbing his arm.

Jasmine came up to his other said and grabbed that arm.

This family knew Sam was edgy and they knew from Jasmine that he had a rough childhood, though they didn't know any details, just knew that he needed to be surrounded by love and laughter, Jane's words.

They tugged him into the kitchen and made him sit.

Sam grimaced when his sore back hit the chair.

"Oh, Sam I'm sorry, I didn't even think of that," Jasmine cried and ran out of the kitchen.

Her brothers sat at the table with him and looked at him.

He shrugged still uncomfortable with everything.

"Why are you so edgy?" May blurted.

She was the youngest of the family and still lived with her parents.

Jasmine entered the kitchen and heard.

"Sam's not a people person," She said and gave him two pain pills.

"Thanks," He said and swallowed them dry.

"Why?" May asked, curiously. Even Art and Ash looked curious.

"I haven't had the best experiences with people," Sam finally admitted.

"Sam, I called Nathan and he said we didn't have to go into day," Jasmine said.

Anger flashed on his face.

"What did you say!?" He growled.

"Nothing bad," Jasmine said her voice soft.