Chapter 5

(Jasmine P.O.V.)

Together Max and I ran along towards the store. To be honest I was a little shocked when I told Max about my parents, I’d never told anyone that I witnessed the shooting. When the police came I was too afraid at what the man said about him not wanting the police interfering so I kept quiet and said that I found them. They asked about my arm and I said that I cut it in the back yard…

Turns out the Max I thought I knew wasn’t really him, sure he did lock me in a cold room but we laughed it off. He was the schools bad boy but he’d never really done anything to earn that title, people just assumed. I trusted him, a lot that it frightened me.

Snapping out of my daze my thoughts finally came back to me and I realized something. I was holding Max Riders hand. You know how they say in all the books and movies how it feels like there’s fireworks going off just beneath your skin? Yeah? Well that’s true. My hand felt like it was on fire. But more importantly why was I feeling this way?

Did I like Max?

“We’re here…” Max trailed off looking down at our hands, he smiled and I quickly took my hand away and smiled sheepishly at him

“Okay, to fruit isle?” I asked walking through the doors of the store, it wasn’t winter yet but the weather was a little cold, hence my hoodie today.

“Sounds like a plan” He replied following after me

Lucky we didn’t have to walk to far because the fresh fruit section was just near the door. Standing together by the stand that had a pile of fresh peaches I examined the peaches looking for the nicest one. Hearing a chuckle beside me I paused and looked over to see Max looking at me with an amused look on his face.

Playing innocent I raised an eyebrow, “What?”

Laughing he shook his head, “I think I’m going to call you peaches now, I mean Jasmine is a beautiful name but I think peaches suits you better”

Smiling along with him I pretended to think for a second tapping my chin, “Hmm… It has a ring to it” I grinned picking up a peach and throwing it to him.

Turning back to him I smiled again, “When life hands you peaches, you make peach juice”

Laughing lightly he walked towards me, “I think I like that saying, Peaches” he finished with a wink

“I think I’m going to like this nickname”

Max grinned and pulled me in for a hug, at first I was a little shocked but I quickly recovered hugging him back. I felt him rest his head on the top of mine a sigh, “Thanks for telling me about your parents Peaches”

I pulled back slightly and smiled up at him, “Well, uh. You’re the first person I kind of told the whole truth to…” Sheepishly I ran a hand through my hair

Chuckling soft with his arms around me he asked with a raised eyebrow, “What do you mean the whole truth?”

“Well, I told the police when they came that I found my parents, I didn’t tell them that I was the person they aimed at first… and I kinda said that I scratched my arm outside in the backyard…”

Max laughed at me expression, “Oh my dear Peaches, quite the rebellious one are we?”

“The most rebellious you’ve ever seen” I grinned

We both burst out laughing until we abruptly stopped when a little girl walked past. She was the spitting image of Alissa. Confused Max and I exchanged glances, the girl seemed to have noticed our glances and walked towards us.

She looked about seven or eight years old.

Grinning at Max she stopped in front of him, “I know you! Your Max, Alissa’s boyfriend”

Max there awkwardly, he cleared throat and ran a hand through his hair, “Uh no sorry, I’m not Alissa’s boyfriend. Were only friends…” Replied to her

Her eyebrows joined together in confusion and then looked at me. Smiling sweetly she turned back to Max, “Oh is that your girlfriend?” Gesturing to me I saw his cheeks turn a faint colour of pink, Max was blushing! Over me…

Laughing awkwardly I stepped forward, “No were just friends as well… I’m Jasmine by the way. What’s your name?” Nodding thoughtfully she grinned,

“My name is Ellie, Alissa is my older sister. Wait did you say your name was Jasmine? As in Jasmine Valley?” Nodding nervously she grimaced

“Oh… Well this is awkward… So you’re the one she covered in tomato sauce…”

Sighing, I nodded, “That would be me…”

She looked apologetic, “Huh, your not ugly; you’re actually really pretty and I’m sorry about all the stuff she’s done to you, she really isn’t that bad when you get to know her…”

I exchanged a look with Max, Smiling I turned back to Ellie, “I’m sure she’s nice”

She grinned, “Awesome! Okay well I better get back to my mum now-” She was cut off by a loud shout

I turned around just in time to see two men walk into the store wearing black with ski masks, and guns. My heart stopped, no. No! This couldn’t be happening again! I stood there frozen; suddenly I felt a handclasp around mine. Confused I looked down at our intertwined hands; I let my gaze travel up the arm until my eyes found a familiar pair of beautiful grey eyes staring at me with concern.

Max squeezed on my reassuringly and pulled me into a hug.

The men’s shouts interrupted our hug, pulling away from Max’s warm embrace I gulped. You can do this Jasmine.

Ellie whimpered beside us, on instinct I pulled her into a hug repeating the same words I had just told myself. “It’s going to be okay Ellie” She nodded into my stomach still hugging me tightly

“All right everyone! You do what we say and you all stay alive. Understood? Now everyone gather over here and line up so we can see everyone!” I froze. My whole world came crashing down. That voice! I knew it, shocked I stared at the man; turning to Max beside me I pointed at the man.

“That’s him Max. The Dark Man”