Prologue

Today was the day. Dakota Wentworth would finally get her first Pokemon. Grinning like an idiot, Dakota ran out the door of her cozy little house in Pallet Town. Running as fast as she could, the green eyed girl bolted towards Professor Oak's lab.

 Soon arriving at her destination, Dakota looked around at the crowd surrounding the lab. Plenty of people were holding their own Pokeball. Releasing a shaky breath she didn't realize she was holding, the young girl entered the lab.

 "Professor Oak? I'm here!" The girl's voice echoed through the lab, as a boy (who didn't resemble Professor Oak at all,) stepped out of a room. "Oh hey Tracey!" Dakota recognised her friend. "Hey Dakota! You're here to pick your starter right? I'll tell Professor Oak you've arrived!" Tracey said cheerfully, running to another room. Dakota stood near the entrance, unable to move. Sure she loved Tracey (as a friend of course,) but sometimes he got a little ahead of himself. While Tracey searched for Professor Oak, Dakota played with the little Nidorans that had hatched a few days ago. "Ah! Dakota! Great to see you again!" Professor Oak's friendly smile appeared on his face as he spoke to the ten year old. Dakota gave the Nidorans each one final pat, before raising herself onto her feet. "Great to see you too, Professor Oak!" She smiled genuinely. "Ready to choose your first Pokemon and begin your Pokemon adventure?" He asked with Tracey by his side. "I sure am!" Dakota cheered. Professor Oak nodded before leading her and Tracey to a special room containing three Kanto starters.

"You can choose from Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur. Squirtle is a water type, Charmander is a fire type, and Bulbasaur is grass type." Professor Oak explained. Of course, Dakota knew this already, she knew quite a bit about Pokemon and training. But she chose to be polite and listen. She nodded before looking at the three Pokeballs before her.

 "Choose wisely. Whatever Pokemon you choose, will determine your fate." the Professor added (unintentionally) dramatically. "Hmmm..." She hummed. Choosing her starter was harder then she thought. Dakota's hand gently grazed over the Pokeballs, soon gripping onto the Pokeball on the right. Holding onto the Pokeball, she raised it towards her face to get a better look. The red and white shined beautifully, as if was just polished. Her thumb gently ran over the little white button in the centre, smiling slightly as she stared in admiration. "So you choose Squirtle as your starter?" Professor Oak asked as Dakota nodded. "Go ahead then, call out your Pokemon!" Dakota inhaled slightly, before tossing the Pokeball in the air. "I choose you! Squirtle!" The Pokeball soon opened to reveal a bright light trailing to the floor, where the light formed into the shape of a Squirtle. Catching the now empty Pokeball in her hand, Dakota looked down at the small, level five Squirtle at her feet. "Squirtle! Squirt!" The water type cheered. Smiling, Dakota bent down to Squirtle's level. "Hi there! I'm Dakota! You wouldn't mind being my Pokemon, would you?" She asked softly, fearing that if she spoke too loud, she'd scare the poor thing right out of it's shell. "Squirtle, Squirtle!" The Pokemon cheered once more, jumping into her arms. Chuckling softly, Dakota wrapped her arms around its shell, gently placing one of her hand on its head.

 "Looks like Squirtle likes you!" Tracey smiled, as Professor Oak agreed. "Yes, you two will be great friends!"