Chapter Two

Dakota and her Pokemon were currently resting in the Pokemon Centre for the night. Tomorrow they would challenge the Pewter City Gym Leader.

This was it, Dakota finally made it. She was finally in the Indigo League. Her palms felt sweaty as she stared down her opponent. Releasing a shaky breath, she plucked a Pokeball off her carrier belt. Tossing it into the air, the figure of a Pokemon began to form from the light. "I choose you!-"

Peeling her eyes open, Dakota wished her dream could have lasted longer. Groaning tiredly, she rolled over in the temporary bed provided by the Pokemon Centre. She gasped in happiness as she soon realized today she would challenge Brock, the Pewter City Gym Leader. Grinning, Dakota quickly dressed, got her Pokeballs, said goodbye to Nurse Joy, and ran to the Pokemon Gym. Cracking her knuckles, she entered the gym. Taking a look around, Dakota stared in admiration. "Hello? I'm here to challenge the Gym Leader..."

"We will each use one Pokemon. There is no time limit." Brock explained as the match began. "Go! Onix!" Soon, a large rock type Pokemon appeared from its Pokeball. "I choose you! Wortortle!" Dakota tossed out a Pokeball containing Onix's weakness. "Onix use Bind!" Onix's tail wrapped around Wortortle as he struggled uncomfortably. "Wortortle use Water Gun!" Wortortle aimed for Onix's face and shot water. Onix released Wortortle in surprise as Wortortle got into a fighting stance. "Use repetitive Water Gun!" Wortortle continued to use Water Gun at the upset Onix. "Go underground Onix!" Brock commanded as Onix tunnelled underneath the ground. Wortortle looked around in confusion as Dakota gave him a command. "Keep your eyes open, Wortortle!" Quickly, Onix rose up from the ground behind Wortortle. "Onix use Iron Tail!" "Use Withdraw Wortortle!" Wortortle Withdrew into his shell, taking no damage as Onix threw him into the wall. "Now use Bubble!" Onix cried out in pain as Wortortle shot bubbles at it. "Keep going bud!" Dakota cheered Wortortle on. After a few more minutes, Onix fainted. Dakota quickly ran towards Wortortle and threw her arms around his shell. "You did a great job, Wortortle! I'm very proud of you!" Dakota praised her Pokemon as Onix was returned to its Pokeball. Brock approached Dakota as she stood up and returned Wortortle. "Congratulations. You are definitely worthy of my badge." He smiled, handing her a Boulder Badge. Dakota grinned and took the badge. "Thank you so much!"

"Here you go, guys." Dakota laid down two bowls of Pokemon food, before sitting down to eat her own food. They were staying in the Pokemon Centre in Pewter City one more night, before they headed off to Curalean City. Eevee turned towards Wortortle, as they spoke to each other.

"So how did the match go today?" Eevee asked her friend,

"Pretty good actually. I kicked that Onix's-"

"Uh yeah, too much information..." Eevee cut Wortortle off before he could finish.

"Heh. Sorry..." Wortortle sheepishly scratched the back of his head.

Dakota couldn't understand what they were saying, but she knew they were having a friendly conversation. After finishing her dinner, Dakota looked down to find her Pokemon had gone off to play somewhere. She sighed before going on a search for her Pokemon.

"Eevee? Wortortle?" Dakota searched the Pokemon Centre. "Where did those two go?" She mumbled, entering the main room of the Centre. She smiled when she saw her Pokemon playing with another trainer's Jigglypuff. It looked as if the three were playing tag, soon a Poochyena joined. The trainers of the Jigglypuff and Poochyena were talking to each other, so Dakota figured she'd join. Walking up to the trainers, she introduced herself. "Hi! I'm Dakota! I'm Wortortle's and Eevee's trainer." The two trainers turned to her, and smiled. "I'm Madison!" The girl introduced herself, "I'm Owen!" The boy grinned. "So where did you find Poochyena?" Dakota asked curiously, "Oh! I got her in my birthplace, Hoenn. I just moved here." He smiled as his Poochyena ran up to him, "What about you? Where'd you get Jigglypuff?" Dakota asked Madison. "I was picking berries one day, and a little Jigglypuff kept following me. So I figured she wanted to come with me." Madison grinned before asking Dakota about her Pokemon, "Well, I first got Wortortle when he was a Squirtle. After he evolved, we began our journey to collect all eight badges. While we were in Viridian Forest, we found Eevee. She was sick, so we took her to the Pokemon Centre. After she healed, I took her with me." Dakota picked up Eevee as she explained her back story. "Awe! She's adorable!" Madison praised Eevee as Owen picked up his Poochyena. "Hey what about a battle between Poochyena and Eevee?" He challenged, "You're on!" Dakota smirked.

The battle was nearing it's end, and Poochyena was winning. After being commanded an attack, Poochyena prepared to attack. "Quick Eevee! Use Sand-Attack!" Poochyena began to cough as she got caught in the sand. "Now finish her off with Swift!" Poochyena let out a cry of pain as Eevee attacked with Swift. Poochyena attempted to get back up, but she collapsed. Owen gasped, then smiled. "You did a good job Poochyena." He returned the fainted Pokemon to her Pokeball. "Take a good, long rest." He kissed the Pokeball before putting it away. "Return Eevee!"

After finishing the battle, the two of them went back to the Pokemon Centre. Handing Nurse Joy their Pokeballs, Owen and Dakota sat in two of the chairs. "Oh hey! I have this Thunder Stone that I found the other day, but it's no use to me. So I figured since you have an Eevee you could use this to evolve her into Jolteon. You want it?" Owen pulled out a Thunder Stone from his bag and thrusted his hand towards Dakota. "Wait, are you sure you want to give it up?" She looked at it cautiously, he hummed. "Definitely! Take it!" Dakota gently took it from his palm and stared at it. Her thumb gently traced the small lightning bolt pattern on the stone. "Wow. Thanks Owen!" She grinned at her new found friend. "No problem Dakota!" He grinned back as Nurse Joy gave them back their Pokeballs. "Here you are! Your Pokemon are fully healed!" They smiled and thanked her, before taking the Pokeballs. Dakota eagerly released Eevee before kneeling down to her. "Look Eevee! It's a Thunder Stone! If you hold it, you can evolve into Jolteon. Do you want to evolve? You don't have to if you don't want to." Owen watched Dakota talk to her Eevee, admiring the way she cared for her Pokemon. "Eevee! Eevee!" Eevee cheered, placing a paw on the stone. Dakota smiled, "Alright, so just hold onto the stone okay?" Dakota handed to stone to Eevee, as the normal type took the stone into her mouth. Within seconds, Eevee began the evolution process. After the light stopped, Owen and Dakota looked at the now evolved Pokemon. "Jolteon!" The electric eeveeloution yipped, jumping into Dakota's lap.

The next afternoon, Madison, Owen, and Dakota were having a quick conversation before they each left. "It was nice meeting you guys!" Madison waved to Owen and Dakota as she left the Pokemon Centre, Jigglypuff trailing behind her. "Bye!" They waved to her as she left. "So what are your Pokemon plans?" Dakota asked Owen. "I'm going to travel to Celadon City to become a Pokemon Professor!" He said happily. "Cool! I'm going to compete in the Indigo League!" Owen and Dakota continued their conversation as Poochyena, Jolteon, and Wortortle continued to play.

"I'm gonna miss Jigglypuff..." Poochyena whined softly.

"Did you know her well?" Wortortle asked curiously.

"Yeah, Madison and Owen were neighbours. But Madison and Jigglypuff are moving to Lavander Town." Poochyena sighed.

Jolteon placed a paw on Poochyena's shoulder.

"I'm sure you'll see her again!" She yipped cheerfully, causing Poochyena to crack a smile.

"And I'm sure you're right." Jolteon grinned at the answer.

"See? That's the spirit!" She cried as Wortortle tackled Poochyena.

"Can we get back to our game?" Wortortle asked impatiently as Poochyena tackled him.

"Y'know Owen, I have to go to Celadon City to earn my Rainbow Badge. Would you like to come with me?" Dakota asked the boy before her. "Sure!" He yelled out.