Chapter One

Sighing softly, Dakota lied in the grass with her Squirtle by her side. Dakota and Squirtle were staying in Pallet Town for the time being to train a bit. Watching the clouds gently float by, Squirtle stared in interest. Calling out their names, a flock of Pidgeys flew by. "I'm glad you're my partner, Squirtle..." Dakota told her beloved Pokemon. "Squirtle...Squirtle Squirt..." her water type replied affectionately. The two had only been partners for a few days, and they already proved to be a powerful team. They trained so much, and fought so many trainers already, that Squirtle was already close to evolving. "C'mon Squirtle, we need get home." Dakota stood up, then bent down slightly so Squirtle could ride on her backpack. "Squirt!" Squirtle cheered, leaping onto her backpack, holding onto her shoulders. Dakota walked along the trail that led back to her home, enjoying the company of her Squirtle.

Yawning loudly, Dakota stood in front of the door of her house. The sky had darkened from it's cheery blue colour, to a calming black. "Ready for dinner, bud?" The young brunette asked her companion. "Squirtle! Squirt Squirt!" He cheered happily (as usual.) The short girl's smile soon turned into a grin as she stroked Squirtle's arm affectionately. Dakota reached out for the door knob as she twisted it, and walked inside. Immediately, a warmth surrounded the team as they inhaled the delicious scent of apple pie. "Smells good mom. Makin' apple pie?" She asked her platinum haired mother.

 Her mother turned to her, smiled and nodded before reaching out to hold Squirtle. Squirtle happily leaped into her embrace, nuzzling the crook of her neck. "Hi Squirtle. Enjoy yourself today?" She asked, gently squeezing his shell. "Squirtle!" He happily threw his arms in the air. Dakota cleared her throat, shooting a playful glare towards her mother. "Oh! How about you Dakota? Did you have fun today?" She asked as Squirtle jumped out of her arms, and into Dakota's. "Mhmm!" She hummed happily, keeping a protective grip on her partner. "Good. Hungry? I just finished dinner!" She smiled. "Apple pie for desert?" She asked curiously. Her mother (also known as Rose) hummed as Dakota and Squirtle grinned. "Yay!"

"Here you are, buddy." Dakota spoke softly, as she held out a bowl of Pokemon food to her water Pokemon. "Squirtle!" He happily ate away at the food, as Dakota sat down at the dining table. Scooping a fork full of vegetables, she placed them in her mouth. "I've never seen you love vegetables more!" Her mother joked, earning a bit of laughter from her daughter. "In my defence, I did skip breakfast and miss lunch..." Dakota defended herself. Her mother smiled as they ate away. After each one of them finished dinner, Rose removed the apple pie from the oven, giving a slice to Dakota. "Me and Squirtle are going to bed. Night mom!" Dakota shouted, taking the slice of pie and her Pokemon up the stairs. "Goodnight!" Rose watched the two disappear as she mumbled lightly. "That girl and her Pokemon..." She smiled slightly.

Dakota and Squirtle lied in her bed, as she watched the first battle of the Indigo League on her TV. She grinned as the trainer she was rooting for won with his Elekid. It was a battle between Elekid, and Talonflame. Even though Elekid was weak against Talonflame, it still won due to its strategy and high stamina. "That just might be you and me someday, Squirtle." She told her Squirtle, who was currently munching away on the slice of pie at the end of her bed. "Squirtle!" He called out, in a slightly muffled tone, due to the pie in his mouth. Dakota yawned, before shutting off the TV and lights. She happily rolled into her bed, patting her Squirtle's shell. "Goodnight Squirtle..." She yawned once more. "Squirtle Squirt..." He mumbled as they both fell asleep rather quickly.

Dakota's alarm clock buzzed, signalling it was time to get up. Six AM flashed on the screen in bright green colours. Blinking a few times, Dakota flinched as she heard the loud cry of a Spearow outside her window.