Chapter Three

"Jolteon use Bite!" Dakota commanded her Pokemon as she battled a trainer. Owen watched in amazement at Dakota's training skills. "Ratatta dodge and use Hyper Fang!" The opponent's Ratatta dodged Jolteon's attack and attacked himself. "Jolteon use Sand-Attack!" Jolteon kicked sand at Ratatta, stopping it halfway through its attack. "Now finish it off with Thundershock!" Jolteon obeyed and sent a trail of electricity towards the Ratatta, shocking it. "Return Ratatta! Go Nidoking!" The enemy returned his fainted Ratatta, and sent out his poison type. "Return Jolteon!" Dakota returned her exhausted Pokemon, and called out Wortortle. "Nidoking use Horn Attack!" Nidoking began to charge at Wortortle, "Wortortle use Withdraw!" Nidoking slammed into Wortortle's shell. "Wortortle use Water Gun!" Dakota commanded as Wortortle shot water at the enemy. "Nidoking use Horn Attack again!" Nidoking charged into Wortortle before he could do anything. "Alright! Now send it flying!" Nidoking picked up Wortortle and tossed him. "Quick Wortortle! Use Withdraw!" Wortortle Withdrew into his shell. "Now get em' with repeatitive Water Gun!" Nidoking was soon knocked out by his weakness. "WHAT?!" The trainer exlaimed before returning Nidoking and sending out Poliwrath. "Return Wortortle! Go get em' Jolteon!" Dakota sent out her electric type. "Jolteon use Sand-Attack!" Jolteon kicked sand at the Poliwrath, temporarily blinding it. "Poliwrath use Double-Slap!" Jolteon skillfully dodged Poliwrath's attack "Jolteon use Thundershock!" Jolteon shocked the enemy, immediately knocking it out. The trainer sighed, returning his final Pokemon. "Good battle!" The trainer complimented. "Return Jolteon!" Dakota turned towards the trainer. "Yeah. It was a pretty good battle." She smiled.

After walking for a few hours, Dakota and Owen decided to camp near the entrance of Mt Moon. lying in the grass, their Pokemon peacefully slept around them. Niether Dakota or Owen could sleep. "Hey Dakota?" Owen turned towards Dakota. "Yeah?" Owen took a deep breath. "How did you decide to become a Pokemon Trainer?" His eyes twinkled in curiousity. "I've always loved Pokemon. I thought about becoming a Pokemon Professor, but I liked the idea of being a trainer better." She turned her head to look at the moon, "What about you? How come you want to become a Professor?" Owen smiled at the question before responding. "It's a tradition in my family to become a Pokemon Trainer, so when I turned ten, my Mom and Dad gave me my first Pokemon which was Poochyena. After awhile, I decided I didn't want to be a trainer, but a professor instead."

The next morning, Dakota and Owen packed their things and got ready to leave. Jolteon happily sat on Dakota's shoulder, while Poochyena and Wortortle walked beside their masters.

"So where are you, Jolteon, and Dakota headed?" Poochyena asked her friend.

"We're on our way to collect all eight badges, to compete in the Indigo League." Wortortle answered proudly.

"Me and Owen are headed to Celadon City so he can become a Pokemon Professor!" Poochyena added.

"That sounds pretty cool. So what's it like in Hoenn?" Wortortle asked.

"Very nice, actually. It's a very nice place to live, for both humans and Pokemon." Poochyena explained.

"Were you wild? Or were you born to a master?" Wortortle curiously turned to Poochyena.

"I was wild, but Owen's parents caught me. But I'm glad they did, or else I wouldn't have Owen." Poochyena gently rubbed her head against Owen's leg.

Owen looked down at his Poochyena, who was rubbing her head on his calf. Owen stopped and knelt down, smiling as he stroked Poochyena's head. "Hungry girl?" He asked softly, as Poochyena nodded slightly. "I promise I'll get you some lunch after we get out this cave, alright?" Owen gently scratched her ears. "Pooch Pooch!" Poochyena cried out happily. Standing up, Owen resumed walking. Suddenly, the cry of an Onix echoed throughout the cave. Dakota and Owen looked at each other, realising this could be trouble. "We better get out of here. Fast." Dakota mumbled to Owen as they returned they Pokemon to their Pokeballs, and ran. They pulled themselves to a stop when they found an Onix blocking the exit. "Oh no..." Owen whispered as Dakota called out her Wortortle. "Wortortle use Water Gun!" Wortortle shot a long blast of water at the wild Onix. "Now use Skull Bash!" Wortortle ran towards Onix and bashed his head on wild Onix's head. While Onix was dazed, Wortortle was commanded to use Water Gun once more. As the wild Onix fainted, Dakota handed Owen one of her Pokeballs. "Here, catch it for yourself!" She smiled at him. "A-Are you sure?" He asked gently taking the Pokeball from her grasp. She hummed and nodded as he threw the Pokeball at the Onix. "Go! Pokeball!" As the Pokeball captured Onix inside, it landed and shook a few times before dinging, signalling the Onix had been caught.