Chapter 8

"Emelia! Hurry up, we're going to be late!" I heard my dad yell from downstairs.

"Okay! Okay! I'm coming!" I yelled my response to him, while grabbing my bag and running downstairs.

"Whoa now! Slow down a little bit there Speedy Gonzales!" My dad said laughing as I almost fell down the last stair in my hurry to get out the door.

"Well, you just told me to hurry up!" I responded, laughing a little too at my clumsiness as I tried to compose myself.

"I didn't mean to the point of injuring yourself, dear." He said, a smile still on his face. He gave me a quick kiss on the forehead before handing me my jacket. "Ready?"

I shrugged on my jacket and nodded excitedly. "Where's mom?"

"She's already in the car." He said, walking to the door.

I followed him out into the brisk fall weather, practically bouncing up and down. We walked to the car and climbed in.

As we took off, my mom turned around from the front seat to look at me. Her glasses rested on the bridge of her nose. She pushed them up slightly and sighed. "I can't believe you are so grown up." She sounded like she was about to cry.

"I'm only 12 mom!" I said giggling.

"Well, it seems like I was rocking you to sleep in my arms just yesterday. It's gone by so fast." I could see tears welling up in her eyes, but she took a deep breath and held them back.

"I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, I promise." I said.

"You better not!" She turned back around to face the front of the car.

"So honey, what are you going to name your dog?" My dad said, while grabbing my mom's hand and holding it in between them like he always did while they were driving anywhere.

"I don't know right now! But as soon as I see it, I will!" I said, looking out the window. "How much longer until we get there?"

"We just left the house two minutes ago!" My dad said laughing.

"Well, how long does it take to get to the shelter from our house, then?" I asked, not about to give up.

My dad sighed. "About twenty minutes."

"So we have eighteen minutes left?" I said.

"Yes, dear." He replied.

"Do you think my dog will like to play fetch? All dogs like that, right?" I asked. I had wanted a dog for a few years now, but my mom had always told me I wasn't old enough. Now that I was 12 though, I finally was.

"I'm sure he will!" My mom said.

"What if it's a girl puppy?" I said.

"Well then, I'm sure she will." She responded.

"Okay, good."

I kept asking questions like this for the rest of the ride to the dog shelter. When we finally got there, I jumped out of the car and practically ran inside. When my mom and dad caught up with me, they told the woman at the front desk that we were there to look at dogs and she led us back to where all the dogs were kept.

"Alright honey. What do you think? Do you see one you like?" My dad asked as we walked in between all of the kennels.

Almost all of the dogs were barking and jumping up on the bars of the cage, trying to get out. I continued walking around the kennel until I had walked around the whole thing.