Chapter 29

The robots charged us. There were too many to count against just the ten of us. They kept coming, but we kept fighting. I launched energy beam after energy beam into cold metal. Each beam sent metal flying as another robot was torn to shreds. Wanda did the same with her red energy, and Pietro ran around us in a blur, leaving broken shards of metal in his wake.

Steve and Nat punched and kicked their way through the robots whilst the Hulk smashed his way through them. Clint fought and shot arrows through every metal foe that came his way, and Tony flew around with Vision taking out the airborne enemies.

We fought until we were all breathing hard and felt like we couldn't fight anymore. Even though we were exhausted, we never once let a robot close to the drill. We worked together, helping when help was needed and making each other work even harder to protect the people of Earth.

We were a team.

Eventually, Ultron seemed to get frustrated. He dove straight for the drill, but Vision was faster. Vision grabbed the vibranium robot and threw him back. Ultron quickly recovered and did the same to Vision, sending him flying towards a wall. Vision straightened out and shot a continuous yellow energy beam at Ultron, which flung him backwards. Ultron crashed through the wall of the church. I ran outside to help, followed by Thor.

Ultron tried to stand up, but Vision's blast was too powerful. It wasn't doing any harm to the robot though, not on it's own anyway. Iron Man flew out of the church and started sending his own energy beam towards Ultron. Thor then sent lightning bolts his way. I pulled my own blue energy to my palms and shot it at Ultron, joining the rest of the team's energy.

I could see the vibranium on Ultron's face begin to falter. It was working. Simultaneously, we all pulled back, taking in the damage we had done. Ultron stood up, stumbling as he did.

"You know, in hindsight-" He began. Hulk charged towards him and punched him so hard, the robot went flying back, out of eye range.

Hulk roared at the rest of the robots standing nearby, and they all fled hastily.

"They'll try to leave the city." Friday's voice came over the comms.

"We can't let them. Not even one." Tony said.

Vision and Tony took off after the robots as Tony called for Rhodey's help. I turned back to the church and ran inside, rejoining the others.

"We gotta move. Even I can tell the air is getting thin up here. You guys get to the boats. I'll sweep for stragglers. Be right behind you." Steve was saying as I walked in.

"I can help you with that." I said.

Steve nodded, looking to the rest of the Avengers for confirmation of the plan.

"What about the core?" Nat asked.

"I'll protect it." Wanda replied, without hesitation. She looked to Clint. "It's my job."

Clint nodded at her, looking at her with a somber pride. "Nat. This way."

I walked to Steve, grabbing his hand. "There are ten... make that eleven people scattered across the city. I'll take you to a group of four of them. You get them to the boats and I'll work on teleporting the rest to them."

Steve nodded. "We have to be fast. The longer we take, the worse our situation is."

Before Steve could finish talking, I had teleported us to the south side of the city where I sensed the group of Sokovians were trapped. As our feet hit the ground, I let go of his hand and took a step back.