Chapter 30

"I'm telling you, I can run just as fast as you!" I said defensively.

"You can teleport, that's different." Pietro said. To prove his point, he ran around, until he stood behind me. He wrapped his arms around me and resting his head on my shoulder so that his mouth was dangerously close to my ear.

I could feel his breath on my ear. Goosebumps raised on the back of my neck. I cleared my throat once before speaking. "I did it, during the battle. When I saved that woman. You were there, you must have seen it."

Pietro released his grip on me. I immediately missed the warmth of his body against mine. He ran around me so that we stood face to face, then brushed a stray piece of hair out of his face.

"You mean when you got hit by that energy beam and almost died?" He asked incredulous.

"Well... yeah." I said. "Admittedly, it didn't last very long, but I still did it. I can do it again. Besides, my powers are all about moving through space. Why wouldn't I be able to move through space really fast?"

Pietro rolled his eyes. "Okay. Go ahead and try then."

"You don't believe I can do it, do you?" I asked, reaching my arm out to playfully slap him on the chest.

Pietro grabbed my wrist and spun me around so that his arms were wrapped around me once more before I even knew he had moved. I huffed, frustrated. He leaned his head down so that his mouth was by my ear like before.

"Prove it." He whispered. The goosebumps were back tenfold.

I smiled and took a deep breath. With all my attention on doing just as he had said, and proving him wrong, I burst away from him with such force, I sent myself flying towards the wall with alarming speed. I hadn't really thought this through.

I braced for impact against the hard wall, but it never came. Instead, I hit the muscles of Pietro's chest. We both grunted and fell to the ground from the impact, me landing on top of him.

"So you can run fast. You just aren't any good at it." Pietro said, laughing.

I laughed too. "I don't think I ever did say I was good at it, did I?"

I moved to get up, but Pietro held me firmly against his chest. "I just saved you. Don't I get a reward?"

I laughed again. "I'm laying on top of you, Piet. Isn't that enough?" I joked.

"I am enjoying this. I would be lying if I said I wasn't." He said, smiling.

"Mm-hm." I hummed, running my hand through his disheveled hair. "I suppose I can come up with something, though."

I lowered my head, placing a slow kiss on his lips. He immediately responded, running his hand up my spine, from my lower back to the back of my head. His fingers twisted through my hair, pulling me closer to him. His other hand stayed on my lower back, tracing invisible circles in slow deliberate moves.

It was a good kiss.

"Do you wanna race?" I mumbled against his lips.

Pietro released his hand from the back of my head, and let his own head fall back to the ground laughing. I had never seen him laugh as hard as he was now. His eyes were crinkled shut and his mouth held a wide smile. I could feel his chest bouncing up and down with each new laugh.

I joined in, not really sure if I was laughing because of what I had said or the fact that he was laughing so hard. Either way, we laughed until there were tears in our eyes.