Chapter 29- Mothers Know Best

Chapter 29

Mothers Know Best

Lucas

*

"Luke, sweetie, what are you doing home? You're supposed to be at school." My mom said to me with a frown, as I came into the kitchen where she was baking some chocolate chip cookies. I shrugged and grabbed an already made cookie from a plate on the counter as I walked past.

"Oh, no you don't, young man." Mom scolded pulling me back into the kitchen. She pulled out a stool from our bar counter and motioned for me to sit. I obeyed her, but not before grabbing another cookie from the counter next to me. Mom rolled her eyes and put her hand on her hip. Uh-oh. Eye roll, hip stance..this can't be good.

"Son, I have a feeling that I know what is going on." I gave her a confused look. What does she mean? Nothing is going on except my enemy is my mate, my girlfri--ex-girlfriend is a cheating whore who is with my brother. Oh and the whole school knew before me! Yup, nothing is going on with me.

"No mom, you don't." I said getting up from the stool. My mom wasn't having it though. She pushed me back into the seat with harsh glare. Woah.

"No way. I have tried to let things take its course but enough is enough when your son is too blinded to see what he has in front of him!" She yelled at me, fury and annoyance showed through her round, blue eyes. My eyes widened at what she just said. Did my mom just basically call me a dumbass?

When I said nothing, she spoke up again. "Nothing? Nothing at all? Geez, and here I thought my son was smart." She growled to herself. My mouth went agape. What's with the name calling!? Mom was pacing the room, her thumb and index fingers pressed to the bridge of her nose.

"Mom, what are you talking about?" I asked, exasperated at her attitude. She stopped pacing and looked about ready to rip my head off. "Your mate! Who else?" She said in a duh tone. My mate..what..? Is she talking about Teagan?

Of course she is talking about Teagan you prick, my inner thoughts scolded me. Ohh. Wait. Did she know it's Teagan..or is she thinking it's someone else.

"I already know it's Teagan, boy." She said as if reading my thoughts. I looked down at the ground, hoping she wouldn't yell at me again.

"Lucas James Walters, you look at me this instant." She said in a low, menacing voice. I snapped my head up so fast I think I damaged something. The thing about my mom is that when she yells, she is only a little mad and annoyed with something...or someone. But when she uses a low voice, she is beyond pissed. Like ready to shift, pissed off. That reminds me, I need to go for a run later..

"Sorry mom.." I mumbled trying to avoid her eyes. Mom sighed and pulled out another bar stool and sat down in front of me. We sat in silence, just hearing the hum of the oven, still baking her cookies. Finally she spoke up.

"Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you tell your dad, the Alpha? I don't get it. You were so thrilled about have a mate--"

"I wanted Carrie as a mate. Not just any mate. Carrie." Mom glared at me for interrupting and I avoided her eyes. She kept going. "-,but you don't even tell us you have her. Gosh, I had to find it out from Teagan's mother who figured it out weeks ago! Do you know how degrading it is to know that your son didn't tell you he got his mate and hear it from someone else?! Plus, did you really think you could just deny this forever? And how did you expect to become Alpha without a mate?" She rattled off, just rambling but I couldn't help but feel guilty. I guess all this time Teagan and I have been trying to keep this quiet and hoping it was untrue, I didn't once realize how my mom was going to feel.