It's What You Do to Me (9)

I know what you’re thinking.

I was stupid and I was acting like an idiot. I was pretty much every name in the book, I know, but that still didn’t make me change my mind about anything.

I know it was stupid not to tell River, but how could I? The whole thing probably didn’t even matter; it was probably just a prank. Why have him worry about something when he didn’t have to? I was already used to River worrying about me, and I didn’t want to have him worry anymore.

Call me an idiot; call me whatever you want, but I was sure that this was the best thing to do. Ever since after what had happened with Mr. Higginson, River had always worried about me so much more than he had to. I didn’t blame him, but still… This was just something else that he didn’t have to worry about.

And it was the same with the Jay thing, too. River didn’t have to know about that, because I wasn’t interested in Jay in the slightest. I didn’t want River to go kick his ass or something when there was absolutely no chance that I’d leave him for Jay. Because I was sure that if River, Rex, and Seth all ganged up on someone, the person would definitely die. Especially since Seth’s killed three guys by himself before…

I wasn’t going to tell him unless I absolutely had to. You might think it’s dumb, but I don’t. I don’t want him worrying when he didn’t have to.

It had been two weeks, and I hadn’t gotten another note. It was probably just a one-time thing. I used to get notes every few days, but now it had been weeks.

I picked up my phone as I continued to sit on my bed. Alice would be gone with Rex for a while, and I was sure that Seth was with Marnie and River was in his dorm. I let out a breath of air as I dialed the number into my phone and pressed it to my ear.

“Delilah, it’s been so long!”

“You always say that.”

“Because it’s true!”

I let out a small chuckle as I listened to my best friend’s banter. It was true that I hadn’t talked to her in weeks, but I didn’t have any time to. After what had happened with Jay and the new note, not to mention all the school work I had to do, I just didn’t have enough time to call.

“How are things with you?” I asked, resting my chin on my knee. “Is Arianna still evil?”

“You bet,” Julie sighed, and I could just tell that she was shaking her head. “You know you’re the only person that has ever stuck up to her, right? It’s almost scary! It’s like she rules the school! If you were here, Delilah, you’d stick up to her again! And she’s always talking about how much of a loser you are and how you’re probably all alone at your new school because all your friends and your ‘emo lover’ left you.”

“That’s not true!” I shouted, louder than I had meant to. I bit the inside of my cheek as I continued, “You can let her know that I’m actually very popular here at Arkwright. I’m probably the most popular person here! Other than Jay Harris, maybe.”

“Jay Harris?” Julie asked excitedly. “You never told me that you go to school with Jay Harris!”

“I didn’t?”

“No! Are you friends with him?”

I sent a flat look at the floor. “You could say that, I guess.”

“That’s so cool! Arianna’s going to be so jealous! You know how much she loves Jay Harris! Jay Harris and Ben are the only two people on this planet that can make Arianna act like a complete and total idiot! Wow, she’s going to hate you even more!”