It's What You Do to Me (23)

“I want to beat her up. Can I beat her up?” Alice asked excitedly, causing me to roll my eyes at her.

Even though I’d love to let Alice at her, I knew that it wasn’t a good idea. If she got in a fight, then she’d get into a lot of trouble with Headmistress Pease. Alice had been at the school longer than any of us, and she had somehow not gotten in trouble at all in the four years she had been there. It was pretty shocking for Alice, but she had somehow managed to do it.

“I’d let you, but then you’d just get in trouble. I’m surprised that I didn’t get in trouble when I beat her up last time,” I admitted angrily as I crossed my arms over my chest and continued to lean against Kendra’s locker. I knew that River wasn’t going to be with her at this time because his class was all the way across campus, so we would be safe from him interfering.

“The only reason you didn’t get in trouble last time was because Kendra was way too scared to tell on you, because she knew Headmistress Pease knew about you and River,” Alice informed me, as if she knew absolutely everything there was to know. “She probably talked River out of snitching on you, too.”

“I can’t believe she thought of every single way to get out of someone telling River the truth,” I breathed, shaking my head as I started to get annoyed with waiting for the stupid bitch. “It’s like she had this planned out from the start. But there’s no way that she could have known that this was going to happen.”

“She’s a pretty crazy bitch,” Alice shrugged, leaning against the locker that was next to Kendra’s. “Maybe she does some weird type of black magic and she can see into the future or something.”

“You’re kidding, right?”

“Of course I am.”

I smiled at my friend, and she smiled right back at me. I forgot what we were doing for a moment, but I quickly remembered when I saw the girl that we had been looking for coming our way.

She didn’t notice us at first, but soon she did and her eyes went wide almost with fear. I didn’t know if she was scared of me or Alice. Even though I had hit her the last time I had really spoken to her, I wasn’t about to do it again and risk getting in trouble. Alice, however, really didn’t give a damn about getting in trouble or not, and that was something I loved about her.

“Excuse me,” Kendra blinked, trying to sound all cute and innocent as usual. “I need to get into my locker.”

“I don’t think so,” Alice snapped, crossing her arms over her chest. “We need to have a little chat, if you don’t mind.”

“I do mind,” Kendra informed us forcefully, and I could tell that she bit her tongue when she realized that that didn’t sound all innocent “I mean… please move. I’m going to be late for biology.”

Alice took a step in front of me and Kendra’s locker. “Then you’re going to be late.”

By this time, there weren’t many kids passing by in the hallway. None of them noticed that this was a total confrontation, and I was glad that they didn’t. I didn’t want anyone’s attention on us as we… spoke to each other about what was going on.

When Kendra looked around to see that no one else was around, she dropped her little innocent cute act. She gripped the books she was holding to her chest even tighter, which made my ring twinkle from the lights that lit above us. I felt my hand twitch, but I kept my arms crossed over my chest.

“You need to get out of my way,” Kendra told us threateningly, but neither Alice nor I were scared of her. She was a small girl, and I knew she couldn’t do much to even one of us, let alone both. “I can’t be late to biology.”