It's What You Do to Me (10)

Sometimes I wished that I didn’t have such a sweet and kind fiancé.

Because lying to him was breaking my heart.

How could I keep two secrets from him? It was tearing me up inside, and yet I still didn’t tell him. I didn’t want him worrying, and if he found out that I kept it from him for so long… he’d be angry. Not angry enough to break up with me or anything, but still angry. And I didn’t want him angry, or worried.

And I wasn’t sure which one we’d be angrier about. Jay, or the note? The note would make more sense, since it could put my life in danger, but if Jay went after me… River would probably be angrier about Jay, because of how easy it was for him to get jealous.

It was sweet that he worried about me so much, but it really wasn’t needed. I didn’t want him stressing himself out over something that wasn’t even important. As long as I stayed away from Jay, I was fine. He couldn’t do anything to me if I stayed away from him.

The note, though… was a whole different story.

I was just going to have to wait and see.

“So what were you doing before I came to your dorm?” River asked as we continued to walk hand-in-hand.

I shrugged. “Talking to Julie. I haven’t talked to her in forever… Dang it, I should have asked her about Tanner. It totally slipped my mind. She wasn’t acting upset or anything, so everything must be fine with him.”

“Yeah, I talked to him a week ago. Everything’s fine,” River nodded. “Now that he’s out of college and with Julie, you can tell that he’s a lot more mature than he used to be. He’s not two-timing her or anything, like he used to do all the time to girls. So next time you see him, you don’t have to worry about him hitting on you or trying to undress you or anything.”

I wrinkled my nose. “Good. But I’m glad that we’re friends now. But I’ll never be able to forget everything that he did.”

“He did save you from my dad, remember.”

“True, true.”

I was thankful for Tanner. I might have not been dead, but I definitely would have even more mental and emotional problems if River’s dad actually hit me. He had tried to twice, but Tanner grabbed his arm the first time and took the punch for me the second. I was thankful for him, because his dad would never hit him. His dad would never hit his mom, either. His dad would always just hit River, which wasn’t fair.

River had always been treated badly, even since he was a little kid. He was supposedly their reject son, as Tanner used to call him. But Tanner and River were starting to get along again, and I could tell that they were going to be as close as they used to be when they were kids. I sure hoped that they would.

“Hi, Delilah! Hi, River!”

That knew voice made me cringe, and my eye couldn’t help but twitch. That girl was going to be the death of me, I was sure…

“What a surprise that I ran into you here!”

I was starting to really despise that voice.

More than just that voice. I was started to hate everything about Kendra Harris. Her hair, her face, her clothing, everything. I didn’t even think that I hated Arianna that much! Arianna was just mean, not annoying. Kendra wasn’t mean, but she sure was annoying!

But I didn’t know if I’d rather have Arianna or Kendra. Would I rather have someone mean, or annoying? Someone that used to make my life absolutely miserable every single day, or someone that can never shot up and used to have the hots for my fiancé?