Five

Four and a half games of fifa later, I'd found myself alone in the lads kitchen, grabbing myself the nearest glass once upon arriving through the doorway to the room. Slowly, I walked to the sink and poured myself a glass of water, sipping it gently as if to slow time because things felt like they were moving too quickly at the moment. I felt confused, but happy. And that was a new, foreign feeling for me since it had been taken away from me last year.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps from the hallway as they made their way to the kitchen doorway, the owner of the sound leaning sheepishly against the doorframe. Why did I find that he looked so attractive in his stupid jumper and skinny jeans? I was scared of what my feelings were going to turn into.

"You alrate?" Van asked, stepping closer as I leant against the kitchen counter watching his movements. His bright eyes studied my face as he awaited his answer.

"Been defeated on fifa again I see." I smirked, ignoring his original question because he knew that there was something up. I don't know how, he just did and that irritated me at how quickly he knew things about me. I didn't want him letting on.

"Nah, just don't wanna keep beating them. Yous know?" He smirked back at me before looking at his feet and then back at me. "I-"

Suddenly, Larry ran through the doorway, making Van close his mouth and to stop saying whatever he was going to say. "Mate we were gonna order a takeaway, was wondering what yous wanted..." He stopped, looking at me as if to remember I was there. "Uh and Abby."

"Yeh mate, I'll be out in a min." Van replied patting him on his shoulder as Larry walked back to the sitting room, where more laughter was coming from.

Van then turned to me grinning, but then he saw my face. I must have looked hurt from over thinking that they didn't want me here. I couldn't blame them, I was easy to forget.

"Hey, Abs, what's wrong?" His grin fell from his face and his eyes softened as he walked closer to me, placing a hand on my arm gently.

"Nothin' Van." I looked up to meet his gaze, trying to smile as if to convince him. He wasn't buying it, but he didn't press it any further. And I respected him for that. He smiled at me before walking back into the sitting room leaving it at that.

I wanted to talk to him, I did, but I couldn't because I hardly knew him. So why did I feel a strange serge of trust for him already?

Sighing, I started to follow where Van left a few minutes ago, walking back into where the lads were.

"Ok. Yeh, you sure you want that?" Larry asked Bob before he repeated the food order to the pizza delivery on the other end of the phone. "Abby, what are you having?" He said looking at me, pulling me out of my daze.

"Uh yeh, um I'm not really that hungry sorry..." I said as I tucked a stray piece of my long hair behind my ear whilst everyone watched me for my response.

"You sure?" He questioned again, smiling slightly.

"Uh-"

"Yeh its fine, she can share with me." Van butted in, smiling slightly at me as I caught his gaze.

After Larry had put the phone down, they returned to the game of fifa that they had been playing. It was just me and Van watching Bob, Larry, Bondy and Benji playing.

I looked over to Van who seemed to be busy watching the game unfold in front of him, ever so often making a rude or laughable comment. I smiled at the small things about him like how his hair fell in front of his eyes, or how he occasionally pulled on the sleeves of his blue and black jumper. I watched him every so often, my heart beating gently in my chest.

It only started pounding when those familiar blue eyes connected to my gaze. My eyes dropped to my hands instantly, which were now nervously turning in my lap as a blush overcame my face. I mentally kicked myself for my eccentric behaviour which was totally abnormal for me. I slowly looked up, back over to Van to see his gaze was no longer on me, but on the TV back in front of him. However, something was different from before. There was now a small smirk forming on his lips. That knowing smirk. The one he always did when he was proving a point.

I sighed, out of habit which only got his attention even more. He turned to me, grinning, one eyebrow raised in defence.

"So, uh, d'you normally do that stuff like last night? You know like intimate gigs in bars?" I said, coughing as I changed the subject. I watched his face change like he'd only just realised what I'd said, like he'd been focussing on something else.

"Not normally, we've been playing a few big gigs like the one yous was at, you know? And then I've been doing some acoustic stuff on me own because of our album being released in a few months. Need that promotion ain't ya?" He winked at me making me laugh and role my eyes.

"You seem to already have loads of songs though, how come your album isn't out already?" I smirked back at him teasing him slightly as if it were a game.

"Ahh, haven't got enough songs. The lads and management have left me to write a few more ones before recording and releasing the album but recently I've been writing loads but none have come to how I want our album to sound. Yous know? When we write songs I think, 'Will 60,000 people sing this back to me?' If not, I get rid of it..." I nodded as he carried on talking at how soon he would get his head round to something or someone he could write about. Giving me a cheeky wink on the latter suggestion making me laugh quietly.

"Looks like you need to get a move on if you want this album released then?" I looked away, smiling slightly before reconnecting my gaze with his warm one.

Turning back to the lads playing fifa, I sank into the armchair, that I was sat on, even more as I still felt Van's gaze on me. Rolling my eyes, again, I looked over to him. "What?" I said, mocking the annoyance in my voice. His gaze still remained serious as he thought about god knows what.

"I, uh actually wrote a few last night yous know? Surprisingly." He laughed more to himself than to me as I looked at him in interest.

"Oh yeh? Let's hear it then-"

"Nah..." He teased as he scrunched his face up, looking away to the other side of the room laughing to himself once again.

"Pleeaassee" I got up and walked over to him as I faked a tug on his jumper making him look at me with some sort of amusement.

"Fine." He sighed, standing up before walking to the stairway that lead upstairs. He looked back at me standing in the same place as I was before he'd got up. "Are you coming or not?"