Chapter 1: A New Start

ⓛⓘⓕⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓐ ⓑⓔⓐⓒⓗ

ⓒⓗⓐⓟⓣⓔⓡ 1: ⓐ ⓝⓔⓦ ⓢⓣⓐⓡⓣ

'What are we?' he murmured, pressing his hot forehead against mine. I looked into his familiar, deep brown eyes and we both knew what I was about to say.

'Over.' I responded, my voice no more than a whisper. I swallowed nervously as I waited for his reaction. I noticed his Adam's apple wobble a little, his eyes twinkle in the moonlight as tears formed in them.

He nodded sincerely, removing his forehead from mine. He kissed the top of my head gently - that type of kiss that said goodbye - that confirmed we were over.

With that, he turned around and slowly walked away. His retreating figure was becoming blurrier by the second, but not too fuzzy to notice him stop. A number of thoughts racked my brain. Was this going to be like the scenes from the movies where he ran back to me, kissed me passionately, told me that he never really cheated on me; that he loved me and we could live happily ever after.

'Goodbye Charlotte.' he said, before pacing off again, soon blending in with the darkness that now enclosed on me as I stood, frozen in place; alone. As soon as the sound of foot steps disappeared, I broke down, collapsing. The cold, hard ground felt much like my heart and I let the tears pour out of my eyes, splashing against the ground furiously.

No, happily ever after doesn't exist.

****

There was a knock at the door interrupting my restless sleep. Unfortunately I had got barely any sleep. All I could think about was the events that took place last night. The memory repeated again and again in my head.

'Charlotte?' a voice called. My eyes flickered open. I stared dumbly at the door. It was 6 in the morning, who could possibly be wanting me at this time...

'Who is it?' I called out. Sitting up a little in my bed. The door opened and Bailey came in. I gawked at her for a few moments. In my half conscious state, I hadn't recognised my best friends voice.

She cocked an eyebrow at me. 'Who did you think it would be?' she asked dangling her key to my house in the air, chuckling quietly. A few years back we decided to give Bailey and her family the key to our house, right after Dad left actually.

I flopped back onto my comfortable bed. 'Ahh...' I grinned sheepishly. 'Just wanted to make sure you weren't like, a robber or some masked murder.' I muttered, feeling blood rise to my cheeks. Bailey laughed, rolling her eyes.

'And you think something like that would happen at Coastal Edge? Charlie, have I ever told you I love you?' she said, laughing as she picked up my pillow, throwing it at my head. I groaned.

'You don't act like it.' I muttered playfully getting out of bed and trotting to my closet. 'Are you ready?' I asked, glancing back to notice my best friend in her bikini and towel.

'You bet!' she responded. I quickly went into the bathroom, stripping off my pajamas and changing into my floral bikini. Slipping on a pair of sunglasses, and sliding on my flip flops, I grabbed a towel and headed out the door.

'Then let's go!' I cried, looping my arm through hers as we headed down the path to the beach. The smell of salt water got stronger as we got closer, and I smiled to myself. If anything could make me happy, it was the beach.

********

'You sure you're okay?' Bailey, my best friend questioned. I splashed a little in the water as I sat idle on my surfboard. The water was warmer than normal today, a friendly reminder that summer was on it's way. The sun was just rising, presenting that picturesque image as a number of shades of orange, pink and yellow were scattered across the horizon.