ONE

Lia

"Chloe, are you going to get in or are you just going to lay there and get skin cancer?" I call over the sound of the radio that blares on the dock next to her, playing some pop song off of a station I'm not familiar with. She lies on her back, her tan skin glistening like diamonds in the sun from the tanning lotion she slathered on moments before. The heat from the sun is beating down on both of us mercilessly, and I'm surprised she isn't sunburnt; It seems she lays in the sun so much her body is now immune to the rays. I tread the water, slightly kicking my feet to keep afloat. It's a hot, summer day in the middle of August. Seems Oregon is going through yet another heatwave. Chloe is enjoying it, but I, on the other hand, am not.

Although I do enjoy swimming in the sun, I much prefer to do it later on in the evening or early in the morning. Those are the times when the giant golden orb isn't a ruthless God in the sky, inflicting pain and torture on earth's inhabitants.

"I'm not going to get skin cancer, Lia," She calls back while laughing in cadence. "Besides, I just swam with you. Why don't you take a break? You've been in there for an hour."

"Just a little bit longer, promise." As I speak, I let my weight fall backward, stretching my body over the rippling water and closing my eyes. I feel the water move beneath me, fighting to keep me afloat. I feel the sun warm my face and focus on the sound of the lapping water against the shore. I feel weightless, as if every worry I have is dissipating with every deep breath I take. I slowly move my arms across the surface, as if the loose structure of molecules ebbs and pulls at my every whim. I relish the feeling of the water overlapping my fingers and splashing across my skin; it's the one thing in this cruel earth that brings me peace.

When I die, this better be my heaven, or I'm asking for a refund.

I take a deep breath inward and then sink myself under the rippling waves, submerging myself into the solitude beneath the surface. It's as if someone turned the world off, and suddenly I am weightless, and there isn't a sound to be heard.
It's only me, and my mind.

If I were given a choice I'd stay down here forever.

I feel my hair tickle against my cheeks as it settles against my skin. The cool water encompasses me completely, like a liquid blanket, and suddenly every thought or worry I have is as important as an ant on the cement.

Finally, deciding I'm ready to resurface as my lungs start to beg for air, I right myself and kick my legs beneath me and break through the surface. I take a deep breath and the sound of the music is now audible, and so are my thoughts that seem incessant. The fresh air fills my lungs as I leisurely swim to the dock. I'm in no hurry to get out of the water, even though I know I will be back soon. I reach up, grab onto the ledge, and pull myself up. Turning my body, I sit on the side of the dock with my feet still in the water, droplets dripping off the strands of my blonde hair and onto the scorching wood beneath.

I look back at Chloe over my shoulder and she seems so peaceful with her eyes closed and fingers strumming away to the beats of the song against her belly. Her long burgundy hair fans out from under her and her neon pink bikini makes her skin look that much darker—she probably wears it just for that reason. As if she feels my stare, she lifts her hand to block the sun from her eyes and looks at me with a small smile.

"Are you finally done?" She asks, a smirk pulling at her lips. I kick up my feet and send water flying upwards, splashing Chloe in the process. She screeches and covers her face, giggling.

"Sorry, you just looked like you needed a little cooling down," I say with a chuckle as I turn my head and gaze out across the expanse of the quiet lake. It's small, considering it came with the property my parents bought a few years ago. After spending most summers here, my dad finally bought the place after it was listed for sale, knowing fully well this property had deep meaning in our family.