FIVE

Aden

    I sit at the bar inside Ciara's home, my eyes like daggers as I stare down my drink. I'm dreading this night, and it's not just because of the white-haired goddess that I know will be arriving shortly. Kieran sits next to me, his presence like a cruel reminder of what we're all doing in this godforsaken realm.

    "You need to have three more of those, friend," He says before taking a sip of his drink. "You have to be nice to her for this to work."

    "Who says I want it to work?"

    "Dagda does." He says, matter-of-factly. "We are doing this for the sake of our kind, of our people."

    "They don't care to be saved, at least what's left of them, and you know that."

    I see him flinch at my words and I curse myself for being too harsh, knowing he's as optimistic as his sister and wishes our fates hadn't been the downfall of our Gods—our leaders.

    I, on the other hand, have accepted my fate.

    I know that this is what's left of me. That no matter how hard I fight, how hard I try to save my kind, our numbers are dwindling, and fast. All because of that goddess—

    Speaking of the Deamhan, I turn once I feel her presence fill the room. I feel her cold mingle with my warmth, her icy fingers lacing through my body like the cruel hands of death. I take her in like the ocean takes her victims, in giant, unmerciful waves, and feel something stir within my jeans as I curse the Gods for my lack of self-control.

She's dressed in a simple white dress, but it looks anything but simple on her. Her hair is curled in long, blonde waves and her icy eyes catch mine instantly. I see the flush of her cheeks rising, proving that I affect her just as much as she does me. The pink color seems to warm her cold expression every time her eyes meet mine, and I can't say I don't relish the feeling it elicits.

    "Hello," Kieran says, standing with a wide smile. He closes the distance and offers his hand to her, a human interaction I've never quite understood. "I'm Kieran, Ciara's brother."

    "Nice to meet you, Kieran." Lia shakes his hand and offers him a smile, a single gesture she has yet to gift me. I take a long drink from my whiskey before I stand, making my way over to them. Lia watches my movements carefully, her eyes assessing.

    "Hello, Lia. Nice to see you again," I say, trying to keep my voice polite. She nods in my direction, not offering a smile like she did for Kieran. I twist my expression, but quickly regain composure and look to her friend. "Chloe,"

    "Hi," She says, smiling. "It's nice to formally meet you."

    "Likewise." I look over to Kieran who doesn't seem the least bit bothered, his smile as wide as ever and blonde, curly hair making him look innocent and not some ruthless demi-god warrior with blood tainting his soul for eternity. "Can I offer you ladies a drink? Ciara is still in the kitchen putting together something for us to eat."

    "Yes, thank you," Lia says.

"I'm good," Chloe shakes her head, offering a half smile."I'm DD for the night," She explains.

"DD?" Kieran raises a brow in her direction and she furrows hers, laughing with shock.

"You know, designated driver? I'm her ride."

"Oh right, sorry, sometimes my head is in the clouds." Kieran flashes her a smile that melts away the uncertainty on Chloe's face. He does better than me because I am still lost on the term, but decide it's not important enough to try to understand. "So, Lia, what will it be? We love our whiskey around here, but we have some wine as well."