Chapter One

------------------
| Chapter One |
------------------

"I found the books! Biology 101 by Abbie Stevenson and B2 by Olivia Rice." I called, throwing the two books onto the coffee table in the living room. Glancing around, I momentarily wondered where the pair were, before shrugging it off and taking a seat in my armchair.

Grabbing B2, I continued reading the chapter, only slightly more enlightened than before. It did mention an expert in mutation though - some guy named Charles. I bet he's British too, with a name like that.

"Did you get the milk?" Fran questions, cleaning her blue rimmed glasses as she enters the room.
"No," I frowned, "Nobody told me we needed milk."

She shrugged, grinning good-naturedly and plonked herself down on the sofa.
"Ah well. Chloe finishes work soon." With that said, she picked up Biology 101, flicking through it.

"Do you really think that these will help us? I've never heard of any mutations like ours in any species." I thought aloud, to which Fran frowned minutely.
"It doesn't hurt to try."
"True."

Silence fell as we continued reading, engrossed in the books. This might take a while.

------

Two hours later and I'd read the book from back to front. This was boring.
"Nothing." I groaned, dropping the book on the floor, and kicking my feet up, "Absolutely nothing about any mutation of this degree in any species known to man in such a small amount of time."

Fran sighed, placing hers on the table.
"I got nothing either." A rattling noise echoed from the hallway, followed by a knocking and I glanced at Fran, who whispered, "Chloe?", to me, a confused frown upon her face.

Rising from my seat, I slowly made my way over to the door, reaching for the handy pocketknife in my back pocket. A darkened figure, tall, covered the window.

Grabbing the cold brass handle, I slowly opened the door, peeking out it, only to find a certain late girl, grinning awkwardly. Glancing back at Fran, I gave her a deadpan stare, then let Chloe in.

"Hey, so, uh. The key didn't work?"
"Dude, you've literally lived in this house longer than us." I commented, locking the door as I did, "Sorry. Bit harsh."
"Meh." Chloe laughed, "It's true."

"Did you get the milk?" Fran called from the living room.
"No. Nobody told me we needed milk." Chloe answered, wandering over.
"That's what I said." I muttered, going back to my armchair.

"Found anything?"
"Two books. Biology 101 and B2. Nothing."

"There's no record of a mutation on this scale in such a small amount of time. I mean, most of them happen over generations and are gradual. Nothing so sudden, or triggered by growth. It's always occurred at birth, like, uh, Tigers with albinism." I added.
"So what do we do?" Chloe's question hung in the air, both of us unable to answer.

She glanced around at us from her seat on the arm of the sofa. I shrugged when she glanced at me.
"We can keep looking." Fran suggested, "That's all we can do right now."
"That's not enough though. We need answers. And soon."

A knocking at the door interrupted us and we all turned in sync to look. Nobody ever visited - we kept to ourselves.

Fran decided to take some initiative and answer the door. I trailed along behind her, mildly curious. I think I heard Chloe follow. Could be wrong.

"Hello?"
"Hi. I'm, uh, looking for a certain two women and a man." A British man's voice echoed through the hall.
"You might need to be a bit more specific." Fran answered, still cautious.

"I think you know who I'm talking about." With that, I stood next to Fran, finally able to see them. There were two men: one with neatly combed, brown hair and puppy brown eyes, the other was...

"Lehnsherr?" I questioned, frowning. Fran turned to look at me weirdly, as did the other man.
"Franklin." He greeted, an odd tone in his voice.

"Sorry, am I missing something?" Francesca chastised me, staring at me unimpressed.
"I think we should talk inside." The other man commented, nodding at Mrs Biggs, across the road. Faking gardening and instead being nosy. The usual.

I glanced at Fran, who shrugged, and Chloe, who pulled a long face of confusion.

Great. My choice.

"Um, sure."