Chapter Four

A/N: Credit goes to my awesome irl friend chloboww for the cover. It's pretty fuckin' brilliant.

---------

With a sigh, I decided to leave when the others started getting out of hand. By that, I mean, they had started testing what substances couldn't harm Darwin and I think Hank was on the ceiling.

Either way, it was not my problem. Chloe and Fran were my problem - the others? Not so much.

Speaking of, I had actually ditched them. Chloe was chatting to Raven, though she was being kind of shy. Which probably means she likes her.

Cool.

Fran had disappeared. I don't know where to. She does it sometimes. I'll be damned if I ever find out what she's doing when she's gallivanting.

For now, I was just going to take a walk. Get some fresh air; maybe find Xavier. See if he has more details on why we're actually gathered here.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

With that in mind, I began to retrace my steps from earlier. Metal corridor after metal corridor, eventually leading me to a brick wall. And I'm supposed to be the navigator of the group. Fuck.

Glancing around, I realised that there was absolutely no hint as to where I was. Nope, nothing, nada - no landmarks, no signs, not even a freakin map.

Just metal fucking corridors.

Brilliant.

Sighing, I furrowed my eyebrows and tried to remember which direction lead to the entrance. I could find my way from there. That, was good. This, right now? Not good. At all.

"Hey! You're not supposed to be here!" A masculine voice called out to my right and I glanced over. There stood a pale skinned man, with layered, black hair and icy blue eyes, and he wore a dark uniform. What stood out, in particular to me, was the MK-16 that he carried.

What? I know my guns.

"I, uh. I got lost." I stuttered, earning only a scoff in response.
"Sure, you did. And who would you be?"
"Ryder Franklin, I'm, uh, kind of, one of those mutants."

And then he burst out laughing. Not even giggling; full blown, eyes sparkling, wide-mouthed, soon to be crying, kind of laughter.
...
...
Uhm...
...

"Sorry, what?" A smirk grew on his face, as he calmed down, a small chuckle still in his breathing.
"You - a mutant? You're far too pretty to be a mutant." A blush spread across my cheeks and I bit my lip, glancing away at the floor in embarrassment.
"Oh."

Once more, he chuckled, before releasing his grip on the gun, and striding over to me, staring down at me rather forebodingly.
"It's a good job that I'm in charge of protecting you, mutants. Means that I know you're telling the truth." A wave of relief passed over me and I let out a shaky breath.
"Yeah, I'm, uh, I'm glad. Didn't really feel like getting shot today, you know?" He laughed full-heartedly once more and I smiled marginally.

I can make friends with people from the 60s, see?

"Come on, let's get you back to the others." He was still chuckling as we moved back to the lounge area and I shuffled behind him, awkwardly wringing my hands, trying to calm myself.

Is this even real life? Probably not.

Is this a Queen song? Probably.

Ah, well.

"What was you doing down there, anyway?"
"I was wandering. And, then looking for Xavier. Didn't really work, in all honesty."
"Considering that was a restricted area, I would say that you're probably right." A smirk grew on his face again and I'm beginning to get the sense that he's a very smug person.

Just a thought, though.

"And here, we are." He gestured to the familiar door, leading to the lounge.
"What? No escort inside?" I joked and he shook his head.
"Didn't wanna cramp your style."

"Thanks." I muttered, shuffling awkwardly.
"Not a problem. It is my job, after all." He had a point, making the moment a little less cherished, "I'm Ben. Ben Organa."
"Nice to meet you, Ben." I smiled at him, then decided to just leave, before it got any more awkward.
"And you." I heard as I turned, entering the lounge, a small grin on my face, which was soon swiped off.

What the fuck happened in here?