glass

As I sit in my English class at Hawley Community College, I seethe as I watch December, sporting a red rose flower crown I might add, takes a seat about two rows of desks down away from me.
What is she doing here? But then I remember last night. Mom wanted December to take some college courses. She suggested this as if December was staying in Massachusetts. And when I questioned this, the answer wasn't favorable. Or sane in any possible way.

December said she was. Staying for a while until she figured where to go from here with her music career. "Taking a break", she called it.

And I exclaimed, "Why does no one ask me how I feel about this?"

Later that night, Grayson was snuggled up in my bed and I told him I was seriously contemplating moving out of the house. Okay, you might think I'm a dramatic, bitter grump, but I have a reason for thinking this way! More on that later.

Grayson yawned and replied. "Sweetheart, there won't be enough money for that right now. We have to wait until our wedding."

I sighed as I laid down beside him, staring up at the glow-in-dark stars December and I stuck on the ceiling when we were little. The one thing of hers I couldn't throw out.
"I guess I can wait five months."

I was suddenly overwhelmed with gratitude for Grayson. When his parents kicked him out, because of The Incident, he moved in with Mom and I. He decided not to attend college and got a job at a garage. With that money, he helped paid for the house and for my college education.

He was my savior, my beacon of light after December left and the destruction she left behind. And guess what? I had to pick up the pieces.

As Mr. Lowe, the English professor droned on about This Side of Paradise, our curriculum novel, I try to concentrate but December's presence is forcing me to lose my focus and I actually want to walk out of class.
But that would be immature, so I stay in my seat like a good, sensible adult would.

I suddenly the whispers around me as they start to realize who is present in the classroom.
"Is that-"

"It couldn't be-"

"December Winslow-"

"Thought she left-"

"Isn't she like famous now?" Someone said as they poked me from behind with a pen.

I whirled around in my seat as discreetly as possible as not to disturb the professor. Annoyed, I glared at Lily Carson, the pen-poker. 
She smirked at me as I fiddled with my braid. What does this bitch want? I haven't spoken to her since senior year of high school and I wasn't ever planning to.

Again with the grudges.

I rolled my eyes at Lily, I definitely am not scared of her anymore, those days are way over.

She gave me a long look and grinned. "Funny, how you were the smart twin and somehow she's the one who's successful."

The feeling of old regret overwhelmed me, something I haven't felt in years.

To Lily, I heard someone retort quite loudly, "Funny how you're in college and still haven't been kicked out due to your immaturity."

I gasped internally and look up to see December in all in her indie glory, standing over us.

The professor peered up from his novel, and blinked. "Is there a problem, miss-?

"Winslow. December Winslow. Yup, it really is me." She announces proudly.

The professor gives me a look, even he is shocked. He's a townie, so he must have heard of the Winslow twins.

"Take your seat, or leave, Miss Winslow."

December grumbled but obeyed.

I sat in silence, lost in thought. I suddenly remembered that this isn't the first time December has stood up for me.