The 5th Puzzle Piece

The next day, all hell broke loose.

Kyungsoo could feel his body falling apart under his white skin. He awoke to pain everywhere. His body was coming undone.

The nurses rushed into his room when he rang his buzzer for help. Chanyeol was the first to enter. He busted through the doors with Dr. Jun and two other nurses following him. Kyungsoo reached for him with all of his strength.

"Hyu...Hyung" It was intense pain for Kyungsoo to even speak.

"shhh, it is ok. You are okay" Chanyeol wasn't smiling now. His happy face had warped into an unfamiliar seriousness. He felt Kyungsoo's wrists and looked down at his watch. He then gave Dr. Jun a look that only the other nurses would understand. Kyungsoo noticed he was the only one who was truely panicking. Everyone else seemed too calm. Like they were calmly waiting for the next event to happen.

"Hyung" Kyungsoo croaked, "What is really happening?" he couldn't hold back tears now. He painfully sobbed as he latched onto Chanyeol's arm.

"We are giving you something to help with the pain. How much does it hurt from 1 to 10?" Dr. Jun answered from where he stood behind Chanyeol.

"One thousand" Kyungsoo felt like he was going to throw up now. Chanyeol gentle pat Kyungsoo's back, making sure to warm every inch of his shoulders.

The nurses quickly turned to Dr Jun and began whispering to each other. Kyungsoo heard a medical term thrown out once in a while but the pulsing in his ear was too loud for him to hear much of anything else. Dr. Jun turned to Chanyeol and whispered something into his ear. Chanyeol nodded in response. "I'll stay" He said. The others nodded and left the room.

Kyungsoo doubled over in pain in his bed. He gripped Chanyeol's hand tighter every once in a while, just to be sure he was still there. He was slowly losing his vision now.

"Chanyeol... I can't see" he sobbed.

"I know. It is ok. That will happen." Chanyeol drew circles on Kyungsoo's palm with his thumb.

"keep talking to me, ok?" Chanyeol smiled as he spoke.

"About what?" Kyungsoo croaked again.

"How about I ask you questions?" Chanyeol asked. Kyungsoo nodded.

"What do you love the most?" Chanyeol asked.

"Singing"

"Oh you can sing? Will you sing for me?"

Kyungsoo shook his head.

"I stopped singing."

"oh. Why?"

"I sang for someone I loved and he is gone now. There is no point now."

"Are you talking about Jongin?" Chanyeol asked. Kyungsoo nodded.

"How about you tell me about him." Chanyeol said.

"He was a writer," Kyungsoo began, " I don't remember much from the beginning. I had amnesia from an accident so I can't remember all of him."

"Try to explain." Kyungsoo nodded again. He was now lost in thought, trying to word the perfection that was Jongin.

"he would come to see me at the bar where I sang. Then we fell in love. I starting singing only for him. I choose him over everything else even if I couldn't remember his name the next day. I kept him in a scrapbook to help me remember. I don't remember where his page went though. He wrote a book about me too." Kyungsoo continued. The words flowed out for the first time in a long time. It was like he was finally telling the world his true feelings.

"I loved him." Kyungsoo's tears fell harder, " He was my everything. He gave me a reason to try to get better. He never tried to get better though. He was sick. Much sicker than I was. So sick that any day he could have been gone and I would't have even remembered him. I wouldn't even had known that there was suppose to be a man in my bed with me or arms around me when I cooked his favorite foods. I wouldn't have even known that I hadn't been alone for so long. He was always there whether I knew it or not. Then he was gone. It was our birthday. Our "Happy Birthday to us." Those were the last words I said. They weren't "I love you" or anything important like that. It was a Happy Birthday on his death bed. How sick is that? I didn't even remember that day! I didn't even remember saying goodbye to someone I loved more than anything I knew. Then when I remembered, I began to hate him. " Kyungsoo couldn't hold back the violent sobs that where ripping his ribs apart. "He was my Romeo"

"That proves you belonged with him," Chanyeol smiled. He ran his fingers through Kyungsoo's hair in an attempt to calm him. "You loved him over and over again every day. Everyday you fell madly in love without even knowing him. And he must have loved you so much more. He was willing to go through every night, knowing that in the morning the one he loved would forget him again."

Kyungsoo nodded. He felt weaker as time went by.

"Hyung" Kyungsoo could barely make a whisper now.

"Yes?"

"Can we sing?"

"Sure."

Broken notes began to slip from Kyungsoo's white lips. "I'm struggling to find you who I cannot see. I'm struggling to find you who I cannot hear. I see things that I couldn't see before. I hear things that I couldn't hear before. After you left me, I have grown a power that I didn't have before..."

The song flowed through Kyungsoo's lips in a broken melody.

"Stopping the time, go back to you. I open this book of memories and I open up your page and in the book I'm in there, in there with you."

Chanyeol never joined into the song. Instead he listened as Kyungsoo held onto the lyric. He whispered the melody. His voice sounding like the wisps of quiet snow that fell outside.

"Jongin..." He whispered as he felt himself fading into a deep sleep, "You were right. Our ending really was clear from the start. It was all drafted before we even met." He felt a velvet touch. He saw the olive skin once more. "I love you" he whispered.

"I love you too" the dark whispered back.

Dr. Jun quickly entered the room. CHanyeol leaned over Kyungsoo. He still held onto the pale hand. He silently wished the hand would tighten its grip again.

"Do Kyungsoo," Dr. Jun spoke as he slowly lifted the white blanket over Kyungsoo. "Time of death 9:28, January 13th. 2016."