Goodnight, Grandma.

I was sitting on the floor of the living room, playing with my new Lego set, a little firetruck. Dad was on the couch, and reading a newspaper, while Mom and Grandma did the dishes. The carpet below me was soft, the fire was warm, & I could hear the comforting sounds Grandma talking to my mom, & music playing on the radio.                                      
                     "Marsha, dear, I'm going to the store to get a few things. Do you need anything?" I sighed happily, content with my nine-year-old life, as Grandma came past me, patting me on the head and heading out the door with her shopping bag. I waved as she closed the door behind her, then went back to my toys. Time past, in a comfortable, leisurely manner.                         
                    "You'd better get into your PJ's, Sam, it's getting late," my father told me. I quickly scrambled up from the carpet, trotting off down the hall to my room, listening to the phone ring twice, then be answered by my Mother. I pulled on my green airplane pajamas, and then heard from down the hall, my father's voice, yelling: "Marsha, where are you going, what about Tom, he deserves to know!" My Mother answered, also yelling, and I stopped to listen.               
              "I have to see her! It can't be true!" Running footsteps, the door slamming open and closed again. My father's outcry of "Marsha!" And the door opening and closing once more. Through my window, I watched my mother get in her car and started driving away, & my father get in his car and pursue her. I sighed, & got in bed to wait for Grandma to come and tuck me in.                                    
               After about a minute, I heard my Grandma's soft, dainty footsteps on my rug. My nose was filled with the smell of denture cream, old lady perfume, & baked goods. I smiled and looked up into Grandma's face in adoration. She sang me my favorite lullaby, about the sailboat to dreamland, and then prayed, like she always did.                     
             "Dear Lord, please help Sam through these tough times, & let him know he is never alone. Let us meet in heaven someday. Amen," Grandma said softly. Then she adressed me. "I love you, Sammy-bear. Never forget that, even when I'm gone." Then Grandma was gone, & I smiled, knowing all was right with the world. I was almost asleep, when I heard the two cars pull into the drive way.                                                
             I heard my parents enter the house, and the quiet sounds of Mom sobbing. Dad came into my room.                   
          "Sam," he said, his voice strained. "I have... some bad news... your Grandma was hit by a car walking home from the drugstore... I'm sorry to tell you this, son... Grandma is dead."