Pink Cheshire

John didn't know how he had let his brother talk him into this. It wasn't that he believed this forest was haunted, it was just not a very comfy looking place to spend the night.           

      The forest was dark, foggy, and the leaves that crunched under his feet didn't seem like something he wanted to sleep on, sleeping bag or not. But nonetheless, let it never be said that he was a wus.                      

      He laid the sleeping bag down and got into it. As he predicted, sleeping on the ground was far from comfy, but eventually John fell asleep.

     John woke to the feeling of something nudging his head. He opened his eyes and saw a set of bare feet with pink painted toenails. Sitting up and pulling his legs out of his sleeping bag, John looked up at the intruder.                             

     She wore black pants, a pink shirt, and suspenders. Her hair was a pink pixie-cut, and in it sat a hairband made of dark metal, like iron. The metal formed the shape of two cat ears, set with pink glass gems. One gem was missing.               

      There was something slightly off about the girl. She carried a spear, emerald green metal handle with a shiny silver tip. But it was her face that disturbed John.                          

      She had dried blood on her face, flakey and peeling. There were three lines of it on each side of her face, and a smudge on her nose. Her mouth seemed to twitch from time to time. And her SMILE. Oh, God, the smile. It was unnaturally wide. She reminded John of the Cheshire cat. Yeah, the PINK Cheshire cat.                      

      The girl, thus dubbed the Pink Cheshire, gave a cheery little giggle. "I was wondering when you'd wake up. You're sleeping on forbidden ground, you know." John thought he was going to be sick. This teenager, if she was even human, made his skin crawl. "The smile is a lie. Never trust the smile. Please be my friend."

        "NO!" John shouted, before he could stop himself. The girl's face contorted with rage, but the sickly cheerful smile remained.                                      

      "THE SPEAR IS MY FRIEND! THE VOICES WILL HAVE THEIR VENGEANCE!" Pink Cheshire screamed, and the spear bashed hard against John's skull. Sparks popped before his eyes, and his head pounded with his heartbeat, but John had the sense to run.                  

       The girl made almost no noise as she ran, her bare feet light on the mossy forest floor. Trees seemed to loom at John out of the fog as he ran. John glanced behind him, and didn't see the girl anymore, but he wasn't about to stop running now.                                               

     Suddenly,  Pink Cheshire lept out of the fog, and with a swing from her spear, knocked John's feet out from under him. He fell flat on his back at her feet, and she stabbed him in the stomach.                                

     It was all John could do to maintain his consciousness as Pink Cheshire dipped a finger in the puddle of red spreading out around him, and used his blood to touch up her peeling, flakey whiskers. He could only watch as the girl walked off towards a tall, faceless figure standing in the fog that John hadn't noticed before. The last thing that he ever heard was the girl's cheerful laughing as the two faded into the mist and John faded into darkness.        

      The next day, John's older brother went to look for him, and was shocked to find the body lying dead in the woods. John lay in a pool of dry blood, with a dent in his head and a stab in his stomach, at the foot of a tree. On the tree above him, written in blood, was this macabre poem:                            

"Painted bloody whiskers,
Iron cat ears,
Wide bright eyes,
Smile from ear to ear;
Tho I may look cheery,
I'm deadly with a spear,
But if you be my friend,
Then you have nothing to fear."

*****************                           

      Tali was a nice girl, a bit strange, but nice and very cheerful. She was very introverted from the start, with just a select few group of very close friends. But what many didn't realize, was that those who suffer the most, suffer in silence.                                          

       Tali was depressed. She didn't feel anything but emptiness and loneliness, and she was bullied for being different. She had very few friends, not because she was an introvert, but because people rejected her.                    

      The parts of her she hated about herself manifested themselves in the forms of Voices in her head. Angry, depressed, plotting, impulsive Voices who wanted the destruction of others.                 

      But despite the fact that her insides were stewing in loneliness and hatred, Tali put on a fake smile and wore bright pink shirts and cheery suspenders to hide her hurting from friends and enemies alike.

      One day, however, humanity robbed Tali of her sanity. No one is sure what was the straw that broke the camel's back, but Tali came home that day from school and shut herself in her room with her poetry book. Not one of her family members thought much of it.                                                

      The next day, Tali was gone. The wall that had once had cat and space posters had been stripped bare of them, and ferociously attacked with a pencil. Scrawled all across it were the words, repeated with no order; thinking thinking thinking, the smile is a lie, voices, vengeance, never trust the smile, be my friend, Pink Cheshire, spear, hurt, the spear is my friend... over and over.    

      In one place, though, "Pink Cheshire" was written in larger letters with a pink sharpie. And in another, "The smile is a lie" was written in blood, Tali's blood, and by the dots above the I's, Tali's fingerprint with a human bite mark in it was clearly visible. Pink hair dye stained the carpet, and a broom head with no handle sat beside the poem book. The poem book was open to the newest poem:
"Painted bloody whiskers,
Iron cat ears,
Wide bright eyes,
Smile from ear to ear;
Tho I may look cheery,
I'm deadly with a spear,
But if you be my friend,
Then you have nothing to fear."                                                       
          Fifteen kids were reported dead the next morning, murdered brutally, most in their beds, and all from Tali's school. On the walls above them, written in the victim's blood, were messages. "He has not received half the pain he gave me", "comeuppance", "not as perfect as she thought", "this is what comes to bullies", "bullies die".                                  

      Each of the victims had one of these messages, but most victims had that same violent poem that was in Tali's poem book. One of the murders had been taped by a security camera. The video was this:     

      At midnight, one of the jocks snuck out of his window. He came back at three in the morning, clearly drunk, but as he started climbing back in his window, something pink, black, and green lunged at him from nowhere.                                       

      The jock was dead before he hit the ground, impaled through the heart on the silver tip of a green spear. Tali, dressed in a pink shirt, black slacks, and suspenders, slashed at him over and over, despite that he was already dead. The pool of his blood spread to her bare feet, and she dipped her right forefinger in the jock's blood, writing "comeuppance" on the side of his house, the wheeled around.

      Her once mostly brown hair had been dyed pink, and in it perched an iron tiara in the shape of cat ears. A huge, distorted smile was plastered all over her face, her eyes wide with insanity. Whiskers were painted onto her face in blood, three on each cheek. She cradled her spear like a beloved teddy bear, careful to not let her bloody pointer fingertip touch the green shaft until it dried. Her family was horrified.                                        

      Tali now lay silently in the woods, nestled down into the ivy at the base of a tree, in between it's roots, well concealed. She was not asleep, she couldn't sleep, she wasn't proud of what she had done despite the congratulations the Voices gave her.                          

      Pink Cheshire looked up and noticed a man, dressed sharply, tall and thin, looking at her. At least, she thought so. He had no face, but Tali was relatively sure he was looking at her. After a moment of watching eachother, the two seemed to come to a silent understanding.                            

      The faceless man wordlessly beckoned for her to follow, then turned and walked slowly though the trees. Pink Cheshire obeyed the silent command, scooping up her spear and following her new master deep into the woods.