Chapter IV

I studied his profile carefully-a lot had changed. His eyes sparkled with the same dove grey intensity and his hair,a reflection of the charcoal black before; but that was where the similarities ended. His hair had been cropped shorter, making him look mature; but it suited him. His eyes were now clouded with fatigue, an odd heaviness behind them making him look a lot older than he should be. He wore a grim expression across his face, a complete juxtaposition towards the once playful demeanor I recalled from my memories of him. His face was pale, ashen revealing years of stress a little teenage boy had to endure. I frown at the thought.

"You're alive! For fucks sake we spent months looking for you! Years! How fucking stupid could you have been?" He raged on, years of boiling anger finally exploding out of a six-year bomb as he paced up and down in front of me. Well at least that was another similarity, his anger issues had never changed. I kept my mouth shut knowing he would calm down any minute, biting my tongue so I wouldn't argue back. He clenched his jaw, his arms around the back of his neck sighing in exasperation. I watched his muscles tense in his arms. He must have started working out, because I definitely don't remember that from his 16 Year old self. I laugh at the thought, out of everything that had happened, how could I have noticed that?

"Well don't just stand there! Explain yourself!" He exclaims exasperated. I stand there stupefied, unsure of what to stay. "I...I." I stutter, suddenly speechless. I clear my throat. "What do you want me to say?" He gives a weary smile, and I stare at him puzzled. "You could never give straight forward answers could you?" He draws me close into his embrace, his arms encircling my waist encompassing me in the familiar smell of peppermint mixed with cologne; his signature scent, except now I could sense the musky smell of cigarettes. I half hug him back, awkwardly clearing my throat and pulling away stepping back into the line of slaves. It had been 6 years. He could be a psychopath for all I know; not to mention the fact he was cruel enough to be standing here as my 'master'.

Jace gives me a blank look; almost puzzled by my reaction, and I adamantly look down determined not to give in to his stare. "Well.." He starts, clearing his throat and scanning the other slaves beside me. "You'll all be assigned private rooms- which you should all be thankful for considering some Masters barely give you beds to sleep on. The rules are simple, stay quiet, do your job and I shouldn't have a reason to punish you." Punish you? I scoff at the thought. If he thinks he's going to lay a finger on me, he needs to be taken to a psychiatric ward. He gives me a curt smile; almost as if he could read my thoughts and continues. "You will all be assigned multiple tasks to complete during the day which will be hung up on your doors every morning including your street jobs. I expect the house to be cleaned every morning, with 3 freshly prepared meals. I also allow free time after dinner dishes which you should all be thankful for. And should the time come- I'm welcome to use any of you as I please." He fixes his eyes on me as he says the last task, and I look down. This wasn't the Jace I remembered from 6 years ago. His expression was cold, cruel yet he remained calculative and precise. "Since it is your first day, you will all be excused from chores apart from the preparations of dinner later on today. I'll show you all to your rooms and you can start familiarizing yourself with your new home."

Swiftly he leads us through the foyer towards a serpentine spiral staircase leading upstairs, complete with numerous paintings. Jace himself had a gift for art since he was small; and I instantly wander whether he painted any of these himself. I catch a glimpse at a few of them; they were incredible. A blur of colors each painted with immense accuracy; skill fully completed with a palette of water colors. One catches my eye in particular; a silhouette of a female figure- but it wasn't filled in, the outline of the women only visible, but her entire body transparent. Behind her silhouette stands defiantly, an array of autumn trees towering over a pebble trail. Golden, Bronze and Rouge leaves vividly outline the path, creating one of the most phenomenal sights. A sense of déjà vu hits me, I recognize the scene- my mind immediately filling with memories from long before that I dismiss quickly.