Chapter Sixteen

I know, I know. It's been forever since I uploaded. Sorry! :/ I finished year 12 and then forgot about it and blah blah blah hope you like it! :) Make sure you vote, comment and fan to see more. Enjoy...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                           Chapter 16

Restraint.

To hold yourself back or keep yourself in check.

Controlling or repressing ones feelings.

One of the most important abilities in the Dhampir line of work was restraint. You had to learn to hold back your initial urges in order to make the right decisions.

As I did my routine scan of the crowded mall, I paused on Rose and Vasilisa browsing at some nice dresses. As if sensing my gaze Rose turned to stare directly at where I was standing. I stayed impassive as I leaned casually against the tall pillar towards the right side of the room. After 3 or 4 seconds Rose turned her attention back to Lissa who was now directing her towards a rack of shirts. I watched as Lissa held up a low cut tank top with lace. Rose regarded it longingly for a few short moments, before glancing my way, then shaking her head. Lissa looked taken aback for a moment and said something that made Rose frown. She put the top back on the rack and they walked to a different section.

Good. I thought approvingly. She’s learning. I’d hoped Rose would apply my suggestions today and I was pleased to see she was textbook perfect so far.

I heard Spiridon’s voice coming from the hand held radio each of us had for security reasons. Nothing negative to report. I made sure to study each individual carefully in order to spot any potential threat. A threat wasn’t necessarily a Strigoi. Humans were also capable of harm. There were gun shootings and acts of terrorism sporadically. Fist fights and verbally abusing patrients were one of the main causes which directed unwanted attention towards the Moroi. Today we were in luck. Mainly mothers with prams filled the mall. It was just past lunchtime and we were scheduled to leave in another 2 hours, just before the mall closed for the day.

Suddenly I felt a light tugging on my duster. I looked down to see a little wide eyed girl with pigtails staring up at me.

“I’ve lost my mommy, will you help me find her?” her eyes welled up with tears and my expression softened. I was about to reply with a yes when a woman hurriedly made her way over to us.

“Abigail!” the woman scolded. “What have I told you about walking off like that? You scared me!” Abigail apologized and went to hug her mother. I smiled a little. The woman looked up at me for the first time and gasped. I regarded her nonchalantly as she stayed staring, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink.

“Oh my.” She said, still staring. I cleared my throat. “Wow you’re..” the woman grew more and more flustered.

“Dimitri Belikov mam’. I’m glad you found Abigail.” All she did was nod.

“Yes. Th-thank you for waiting with her.” She stammered.

“No problem.” I assured her. “I best be going.” I said as I noticed the girls were leaving the store. I walked away and trailed the girls for the next two hours. I bought a drink and pretended to read a store catalogue when I heard a crackling from my hand held radio.

“Sorry can you repeat that?” I said into the mic.

“Did you want anything before we go?” Spiridon offered. I thought back to Rose’s good behaviour and well applied training. A small smile crept onto my face.