Chapter 22 "Unhinged"

-Gabriel-

Standing in the bathroom looking in the mirror, pressing my hands down on the sides of the sink, I'm looking at this face... a face I can't recognize. There are two different people in my eyes; one is scared and confused, disoriented, and the other man is completely cracked. There is blood on his lips and scratches and bruises left by all those he's killed, fading in and out, as if taunting me. He's smiling at me. There are two things he has that the other lacks-and those things are direction and confidence. Which of these men am I...?

I hear a crunch noise and look down. I've broken some of the sink...! I back up and look in the mirror again. There's a different face there now. A man wearing a black zipped-up jacket. His hair is blonde, parted at the side and he has a strong jaw. His eyes are a dark, almost red color. Just in that second, he's gone. I blink quickly at my reflection. What was that? Was it real? Who was that? It must be my mind playing tricks on me. It must be. I'm already thinking unstable thoughts.

"Gabriel?" Addison calls. I glance at the sink again. I pick up the pieces and set them on the side of it, realizing this is a sink made of cheap ceramics. How did I do that...? "Gabriel?" I turn, and when I see her walking into view, she peers in past me in a startled way. Seeing this arouses that strong urge in me to attack, tear and destroy; the images of doing these things keep flickering in my head. Stop! Get out of there. Get out! I don't WANT YOU! I imagine myself hitting both sides of my head and ripping my hair out, screaming. But in reality, I only stare at her with growing eyes. She's nervous and her voice is smaller when she asks, "What was that noise?" I hum in a low thoughtful tone and move slightly to look in the bathroom, then I turn back to her. "Broke the sink... by accident. I'm sorry. I don't... I don't know how I did it." How could I have done that? Mind over matter? Is it really true and possible? She sees it and looks back to me. I blink again and slowly walk past her.

I go into the living room and stare out the window for a few moments. I really am a danger here. If I leave, what will happen to Addison? Would I be leading Reuben away from here? "AHH!" I spin around quickly to hearing that. Why did she scream?

I run back to the bathroom and see her standing at the mirror, staring directly into it. She's as still as a statue. Her eyes are fixed. I also look in the mirror and see the blonde, faceless man again. He's looking right at me. "Hello Gabriel... I hope you remember me. How are you today?" I can't respond right away, as Jack's warning repeats in my mind. Are you... Reuben? I think. Somehow, I'm beginning to feel strangely obligated to respond to him in a kind and casual way; "...I'm alright, but could be better."
"Please," he says, "do tell me what would make your day better." His voice is soft. His demeanor is extremely calculating. But, I don't reply.

He hums, and lowers his head as if looking at Addison's profile. I step closer to her. He takes a lock of her hair and smells it. She takes a short breath, a small fearful whimper escaping past her quivering lips. How is he doing this to her reflection? I flare my nose, emitting a low grumble and I feel a fast vibration in my eyeteeth. This is a feeling that throws me off. I feel my teeth and touch my gums. They're wet with a clear gooey substance. I gasp to myself and feel behind my canines. There are soft, pillow-like spots where the teeth come out of the gum, and every time I press on them, more liquid comes out the tips of my teeth. They feel sharper the more I push around in there. This makes him laugh.

I growl and say, "Please don't do anything to her. I like her."

"You like her... Is that so?"
"She is good. She has a good heart. Leave her alone."
He puts his hand down. "Well if you insist... What a hero you are." She's shaking now, making those faint stuttering sounds; is she seeing him too?-Or something totally different than me? What could she be seeing? I feel a little pain in the back of my neck. It's making me want to move my head around. My neck pops and cracks. An image flashes in my mind; I'm floating over Addison in the middle of the night, watching her every move, changing the temperature of the room to so hot she has to uncover herself. Then I see darkness going down on her, swallowing her. She purrs my name in her sleep. So seductive... The taste of blood is on my tongue-it's sweet, delicious, addicting... I unconsciously wrap my arms around her small form and hug her close, smelling her. She's intoxicating... If I could just get a taste. Just one taste... of you... You, Addison... A shiver runs up my spine and I close my eyes, opening my mouth close to your pulse point. Oh... I want to taste you... I love how you breathe in through your mouth, and I bite down into your soft, fragile neck. You yelp and I slide my hand across your mouth, "Shh shh..." Hush sweetheart, calm... calm down now. I know you weren't ready, but you relax at my voice and touch, soon holding the side of my head so carefully. I suck gently, yet I taste nothing.