Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Greer

Two years later...

The sun was blazing, the city of Manhattan blazing over with a heat that could not be matched; though the heat only fueled the girl's eagerness.

The girl could not see through the bulletproof, double-doors, though she could visibly see the outline of the bodies that hustled around on the other side, unaware to the current situation. The girl gave a peek towards the security camera that followed her every move. She didn't look at it, allowing the blond locks attached to her scalp to frame her true identity, as her hand slowly found its way towards the purse that loosely hung off of the girl's shoulder. Her hand found the opened zipper and she slipped her red-colored nails inside of the bag, finding the small, plastic card of the ID from the man who once guarded the fence a few hundred yards back.

Her hands found the small slit in the otherwise perfectly placed structure, before slipping the card into it, still holding the end of the thin-plastic card. She heard a few buzzing noises from inside of the building, before there was a click from inside of the door and she used her hand to pull it open, while pulling the card from the slit in the wall and slipping it back into her purse, next to the revolver that sat loaded, inside of the bag.

As she pulled the door shut behind her, she was well-aware of the many men and women in which were buzzing in front of her. They were dressed in a similar wear, which consisted of black clothes which allowed them to strike out against the white walls and floor. The girl calculated her pathway, using her hand to slightly tip her sunglasses down the bridge of her nose, allowing her to see the scene clearly. There was dozens of agents in the main room, mostly crowding down the bottom floor to make it to their destination, none bothering to converse or otherwise associate with one another as they scuttled down the hall; the only thing giving the girl away was her red high-heels.

She pushed the dark glasses back over her eyes before continuing with her mission. She calculated a break in the crowd before she stepped into it, gliding over the feet of the agents who struggled past her, their dead eyes still locked straight ahead. Towards the middle of the crowd, the girl reached atop her head and yanked off her blond locks, before she stuffed them in her purse, using the same hand, feeling around for the black-colored ones and she ducked away from any eye-vision, pushing the chin-length stringy hair onto her scalp, managing to straighten it into perfection, before she exited the crowd, keeping close to the walls as she approached the escalator of which sat on the far-off wall. A few agents followed the same routine as the girl, escaping the crowd by crawling up the escalator, taking a stand along the steps.

The girl stepped up onto the floor as a step descended from the top, the bottom of her heels digging into the step carefully as she felt the ground move from underneath her. She resisted the urge to look back, though she kept alert, her nerves on stand-by as the ground sunk farther and farther away. She resisted the urge to touch the railing that moved with the stairs, not trusting her fingers to emit the prints that would provide evidence for her future capture.

As she reached the top, she reached out a single leg, allowing her dress to expose her fair-colored thigh as she reached out one heel, swiftly stepping onto flat ground. She didn't bother to examine the hallway that snaked to her left, immediately turning towards her right side, her mind guiding her mind down the labyrinth of hallways that snaked around in complicated directions, but she was not easily confused.