Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Differences of Opinion

Miles said goodbye to his attorney and hung up his cell phone. After that he called the airlines and made a reservation for a flight to New York in one week. There was no use postponing the inevitable. The writing of Anja was complete and he had obligations he'd let slide for far too long. He loved Colorado, but he couldn't stay indefinitely. Now he needed to break the news to Tooty.

Sighing, he rubbed his forehead and then stretched the tightness in his neck. At least he'd done something worthwhile with his money. Trust funds for Tooty and Harris had been prepared and were ready for him to sign. The investigator he'd hired the day after Lucky Larry had threatened Tooty, had dug up plenty of dirt on the dirt bag. His attorney had acted promptly and lowlife Larry had signed an agreement that he would never contact Tooty or Harris again in exchange for a large sum of money. If he did, he'd be unlucky enough to have some prior arrests brought to public attention, and also have to return the money with a penalty. Now Miles could relieve Tooty's mind about the scumbag.

* * *

Tooty stretched and reached for Annabelle's diary. Harris had spent the night with her mom and dad and it felt decadent doing nothing on a Sunday morning. She almost felt guilty, but she just had to reread what she'd read the previous night.

Friday, April 28, 1865

Eli has mastered the chair and rolls all over the house and yard. We made the ground as level as we could and he helps Pa feed the chickens. He's been whittling out by the barn and I got a peek at his latest attempt. I could see the shape of a horse and I complimented him on it. He looked really proud. Being in the sun is doing him good. I watch him when he isn't looking. He is so handsome. And when he gives me one of his rare smiles my stomach flips and my heart pounds.

Tooty turned a few pages to another entry.

Saturday, May 13, 1865

Today, Eli had an accident. He was rushing across the yard to the barn and his wheels got stuck in a rut and flipped him over. It scared me real bad. I ran and knelt beside him, afraid he'd been injured. He pushed me away and angrily said he was okay. I must have looked hurt because he apologized and lay back in the dirt. I couldn't help but notice how strong his arms and shoulders are now that he's exercising and eating. He saw me looking him over and said a cuss word. The next thing I knew, he was pulling me down and kissing me passionately. The only boy who ever kissed me was Jethro Jenkins when he stole a kiss when I was fourteen, and it was creepy. Eli Riles has the sweetest mouth and I never wanted him to stop kissing me. Suddenly, he jerked back and pushed away from me. I righted his chair and held it while he pulled himself back into it. He didn't look at me. He just rolled toward the barn.

Tooty sighed and set the book aside. Stretching again, she decided to make a great breakfast for her and Miles. After a quick shower and dressing in a pretty pink skirt and white tank top that showed off her tan, she knocked on his door. When he opened it, she said, "I hope you haven't eaten. I'm going to make a super-duper breakfast. Would you like to join me?"

"As a matter of fact, I would. There are some things we need to discuss. I'll be out in fifteen minutes."

"Okay." She returned to the kitchen, wondering what he wanted to talk about. Maybe he was going to give her more responsibilities as his personal assistant. She'd like that. But then again, maybe he wasn't happy about something. Her mind went ballistic on her.

Miles joined her just as she flipped the Denver omelet she was making for him onto his plate. "Almost ready." She added some hash browns and toast. "Go ahead and eat before it gets cold. It'll only take a couple of minutes to make mine."

When she joined him, he said, "Tooty, this is excellent. Thanks for making it."

"I enjoy cooking breakfast for you. What did you want to talk about?" Her heart pounded with curiosity.

"Well, there are several things, actually. I'm not sure where to begin. I guess I should start by saying I'll be leaving in a week. As much as I love it here, it's time for me to return to my obligations in New York. I want to thank you for everything. You've been a great personal assistant, but more than that, you've been a great friend."

The toast in Tooty's throat lodged and didn't want to go down. She sipped her coffee to see if that would help.

Miles continued, "I also want you to know that because of you, I'm more than satisfied with the way this last book ended the series. Your suggestions were brilliant. I've told my publisher I want the title to be Anja, and they've agreed."

"That's wonderful," Tooty said softly.

Miles tapped his fingers on the table. "For a long time, I've been thinking about a way to express my gratitude." He sipped his coffee and studied her face. "I've set up two trust funds, one for you and one for Harris. After I leave there will be no need for you to work outside your home. When Harris is ready for college, he won't have to struggle financially to make it through."

Tooty gaped at him and she started to say, "No way," when he held up a staying hand. "Please let me finish."

She blinked.

"And lastly, I want you to know that Laramie Walker won't be bothering you again. I had my attorneys draw up an agreement for him to sign. For a certain sum, he's agreed to never contact you or Harris. If he breaks the contract, he'll have to pay the money back with penalties. He signed it yesterday."

Tooty jumped up. "What! How...how could you do such a thing without talking to me first? I-I'm not a child. I have a right to make my own decisions."

"Tooty, I thought you wanted him out of your life. You don't have feelings for him, do you? Because if you do, they are unfounded after he signed an agreement accepting money to leave you and his own son alone."

"God, no, I don't have feelings for him! But you did this behind my back!"