Chapter 21

Chapter 21: Confessions

Miles gently stroked his wife's face and hair where she lay against his chest. He kissed the top of her head. Never had he felt so fulfilled. They had made love all night and now dawn lit their window. Tooty had admitted during the night that she had seen the page with his dedication. He smiled. His plan of surprising her by declaring his love in a big way, had happened in a small way. The dedication of his latest novel was devoted entirely to her and he'd written it to dispel any doubts she or the public might have about how he felt. He'd meant for it to be a great romantic gesture and the past weeks had been murder on him waiting for the book's release. So many times, he'd almost pulled Tooty into his arms and made passionate love to her. After reading her collection of beautiful poetry and the final poem, My Bright Man, he'd finally been slammed with the realization that she loved him deeply.

Tooty sighed and kissed his chest. Rising above him, she smiled and rubbed her cute nose against his. He reached to stroke her cheek and promised, "We're going on a honeymoon."

She kissed his neck repeatedly. "Can we practice our honeymoon again before the boys get up?"

"Anything your heart desires." He placed his hand under her chin and pulled her mouth toward his, but before his lips touched hers, he said, "I'm so happy you found my dedication. I had another week to wait before the book came out and I was going crazy with wanting you."

"Now we can't have you going crazy," she teased, and then made him forget everything but her.

Dedication

The dedication of this book belongs solely to my wife. Without her, I would never have attempted such a romantic story because I would never have experienced the depths of passion necessary to convey the feelings of my characters. My wife is my heart, my joy, my creativity, my frustration, my soul, my friend, my lover, my everything.

Tooty, I love you. I adore you. I need you.

* * *

Tooty's heart hammered when she tore open the envelope from the attorney's office sent special delivery. His secretary had called to explain that Beatrice Shipley had left instructions to mail the letter four years after Tooty inherited the home, if she was still living there.

She pulled the single page from the envelope and glanced at Miles. He nodded his encouragement. Inhaling, she read aloud.

My Dear Tooty,

I'm so happy you're still living in your lovely cottage. This letter will be my last. Of course, by now, no doubt you have read Annabelle's diary and hopefully applied any lessons learned to your own life. I trust you are happy,  but if not, keep seeking happiness. You will find it.

Tooty looked lovingly at Miles and smiled her happiness.

Now to get to the crux of my letter—it is my delight to inform you that Eli and Annabelle were our distant relatives and lived on the property you now own. There is a trail leading into the woods and at the end of the trail, near the river, you will see indentations from a long ago cabin. That was Eli's cabin which was enlarged later to accommodate his growing family. The main house where Annabelle grew up was in the very spot your home now rests. The old home was torn down in the 1940s and this one built. You probably don't know this yet, but Annabelle's mother's maiden name was Townsend. Seems we share a distant grandfather.

As if Annabelle's diary is not treasure enough, you have one more to discover. No doubt it didn't take you long to decipher my clue as to the whereabouts of the diary, and this clue is also simple. I'm sure you will work it out before long. When you find this treasure, there will also be a chart showing our family ancestry.

May the sweetness of Annabelle's diary guide you and yours through this journey we call life. I finished mine with regrets. Hopefully, you will have no regrets when you come to the end of yours. I wish you happiness, Tooty. Oh, lest I forget, here is the clue that will lead you to my final clue:

The pride of Annabelle is in her Pride.

—Beatrice Shipley