Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Bumpkin Girl

Tooty set the place settings on the table and thunked a plate down. She'd gotten what she'd demanded. Now she was Mrs. Miles Brightman and she was pissed. Miles had flown them to Las Vegas, tied the knot, and immediately flown them back to Colorado, all in the same day. That was two weeks ago. He'd moved into his old room and only ventured out to play with the boys. She and Miles weren't exactly falling into each others arms like she'd hoped.

The boys, rambunctious as ever, had strewn toys across the living room and were now playing train, with all the accompanying noises. If Miles thought he was going to avoid being a real father and just participate in the easy times, well, it wasn't going to happen. "Eli, stop pulling your brother's hair! You boys start picking up your toys; supper's almost ready." She stormed down the hall and pounded on Miles' door.

He had his cell phone to his ear when he opened the door and held up one hand when she started to speak. "Okay, cancel that meeting. I'll call my publisher and let them know I approve the changes. I'll talk to you again in the morning." He clicked off. "Yes, Tooty."

God, he looked delicious and his eyes shone bluer than usual. Her knees went weak before she remembered her resolve. "If your highness can deign to return to the land of mortals, I could use some help. Your sons are going wild in the living room and I'm trying to prepare supper." She turned and stormed away feeling like the Wicked Witch of the West.

A few minutes later she heard him in the living room. "Hey boys, can I play your game, too?"

Shouts of, "Yes! Yes!" echoed throughout the house. When she returned to the dining table carrying a crockpot stew, she saw the boys crowded around Miles while he explained the workings of trains. He patted their heads and looked up. "Tooty, since I'm now living in Colorado for the unforeseeable future, I have to organize my affairs in New York, which means I'm on my phone a lot. I'm happy to help you, just be patient."

Great. Now he'd made her feel guilty. She called her family to the table and almost cried when Miles lifted Eli into his highchair and then ruffled Harris' hair.

Harris innocently asked Miles, "Why didn't you marry my mommy when you were here before? I could have had a daddy for a long time then."

Tooty paused in dishing stew into her sons' bowls. She couldn't bring herself to look at Miles.

He said, "I don't know if you can understand this Harris, but sometimes, timing is everything."

Harris shrugged. "You're right. I don't understand. I'm just happy to have a daddy now, and so is Eli. Ain't that right, Eli?"

Eli bobbed his head in a big motion and pointed to his plate. "I don't wike gween beans."

For the next month Tooty watched the developing relationship between Miles, Harris, and Eli. It was evident by his every action that he loved the boys dearly. Why he couldn't turn some of that love on her, she didn't know. Many nights she lay in bed willing herself to have the courage to barge into his room and make passionate love to him. But forcing herself on him held no appeal. She had done that once before and it had pushed him away. She just knew he loved her though—right? She'd been certain of it when she issued her ultimatum that they marry. However, as each day passed and he shied away from her presence, she began to wonder if it had only been wishful thinking. He was a New Yorker, a powerful man in his field of work, a sophisticated person who hobnobbed with other sophisticated people. She was a country girl, born and bred, and got tongue-tied around the kind of people he hung out with. Maybe she'd done him a great disservice and needed to free him. But the thought of not being married to Miles, even in this miserable state, broke her heart.