Daydreamer

My parents don't tell me much about my past, because they don't know much, everything is a little hazy from that time. They told me how they found me wrapped in blankets and with a note saying that my birth parents were English. They haven't seen the note since that day and hardly remember anything on it, they said that it flew away into the river and washed out into the ocean. Somehow I know they're telling the truth, I couldn't tell you how I know that, I just do.

They took me in and raised me as their own, because I am theirs. I'm their daughter, their legacy. They never kept any of it a secret, telling me the complete truth my whole life, even the fact that they changed my name. I happen to think that they made the right choice, Harriet isn't what I'd personally pick.

We were a normal family, from a small village in Spain, we go to church every Sunday and dance to American rock music in our living room. My mother, Ria, is the definition of elegance and beauty and my father, Tito, acted like he was all tough but cries over every little thing. I have a crazy aunt who drops in every couple of months, telling tales of her travels across the world, and I have grandparents who we don't speak too. Everything about us was normal, we liked it.

But the strangest thing happened, I had been sat on the pier, dangling my feet off the edge into the cool water. A dead lily was floating in the lake, shrivelled up and abandoned in the water. I picked it up gently and placed it in the palm of my hand, running my hand over it gently and gasping in awe as the flower came back to life in front of my eyes.

I dropped the lily back into the lake and watching it start floating away from me, soon out of my reach even if I wanted to grab it again. I shook my head, this wasn't happening.

I decided to head home after that and not tell anyone about what just happened... ever.

My name is Esmeralda Lopez, I'm 10 years old and I think I'm a witch.