Chapter 4

"Tough it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night." Mama sang to me softly, her cheek pressed against my hair.

"I can see paradise by te dashboard light." I sang back, I may struggle with English, but music I got, it was Papa's favourite way of teaching me, making me listen to 'classics'.

We were sat in the back of a taxi, having arrived in England yesterday. Today was September 1st, I was going to Hogwarts today.

My parents and I had never been so excited and upset at the same time, we had spent this time going through my new books, all of us learning about magic and potions and wandlore. ("Applewood wands are supposed to be powerful and have owners who have high aims!" Papa had read out from a textbook. "They're well-loved, which is definitely you.")

We were upset because this meant that I was going to be away from them for months, not being able to see them until Christmas. I had never been away from them for this long before, we were once separated for a week and it was horrible for all of us.

"Platform nine and three quarters." Mama read out my ticket, fully happy to be speaking about this in the open since there was no way our taxi driver could speak Spanish. "Are we to presume there is some magical explanation?"

"I hope so." Papa replied, having a look at the ticket himself. "We may have to find someone to help."

The three of us struggled to find our way around the station with other Muggles, let alone trying to figure out how to get around into somewhere magical. That was until we heard a voice...

"- packed with Muggles, of course -"

"Muggles? That's us!" Papa said, a little excitedly as we all spun around. The woman who had spoke had four boys with her, all with bright red hair and they were pushing trunks like mine. They had to be wizards. "I suppose we can ask them for help?" Papa suggested and neither Mama or I disagreed with him.

"Now, what's the platform number?"

"Nine and three-quarters!" piped up a girl, also red-headed, who was holding her hand, "Mum, can't I go... "

"You're not old enough, Ginny, now be quiet. All right, Percy, you go first." The oldest boy marched toward platforms nine and ten, vanishing amongst a group of tourists. "Fred, you next," the woman instructed.

"I'm not Fred, I'm George," said one of the twins. "Honestly, woman, you call yourself our mother? Can you tell I'm George?"

"Sorry, George, dear."

"Only joking, I am Fred," said the boy, and off he went, vanishing as well. His twin heading after him and suddenly no longer being there when he should have been.

"Excuse me, señorita," Mama called out, helping to push my trunk along as we moved over to the woman, "hola, I'm so sorry to boter you, but we heard you say nine and tree quarters-"

Mama didn't need to finish explaining the situation, the woman nodding in understanding. "First time at Hogwarts I take it?" The woman questioned in a kind voice.

"We're Muggles." Papa said happily, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Our daughter is a witch."

"And don't know Englund." I chimed in, since we all had thick accents. "Te ting is- te ting is- oh, no sé!"

"We don't know how to get onto te platform." Mama filled in, rubbing my back in comfort.

"Not to worry." The woman said, happy to help us. "All you have to do is walk straight at the barrier between platforms nine and ten. Don't stop and don't be scared you'll crash into it, that's very important. Best do it at a bit of a run if you're nervous. Go on, go now before Ron." She motioned to her last son, the youngest one.