chapter 2

It felt so nice to be able to not worry. Just relax with my bestfriend.

We were sat in a park. Purched in a tree. I was laying down on one of the larger branches whilst Ash sat on another. It was beautiful here, away from the quietness of the my home. The busy streets buzzed, Lights from different homes and shops illuminated the darkness. The loudness seemed to calm me. I never liked silence. Not even as a child, something about it unnerved me, made me uneasy. My eyes drifted to Ash. She was throwing acorns. The light blue markings running from her neck down on her right side glowing with each time she threw one.

I closed my eyes smiling to myself. I was at peace here.

"Hey Ash? How come you sleep with loads of people" I peeped at her through my eyelashes. She snickered at me.

"Someone jealous?"

"in your dreams. i was just wondering."

"Meaning you want tips on how to actually get laid?"

"I've got laid before!" Huffing i sat up fully. sending her a glare.

"Prostitutes don't count"

"I've never eve-" I was cut short by footsteps. Lots of footsteps. The chains and weapons clinged with each of them. My eyes widened in alarm, Ash wore the same expression. The noises grew louder indicating how close they actually were. I threw my black jumper at Ash. Signaling her to cover her arm, then pointed upwards. Telling her to climb higher. This can't be happening. How did they find us? We were hidden. Out of sight. We didn't even do anything just sat in a tree- unless, they weren't after us. I scanned the area, making sure to pay close attention to the shadows and any place someone could hide.

A silhouette came into view. Of course. The scent of him blew across the park.

A rogue. I slowed my breathing staying as still as possible. Each nerve pricked up at the scene in front of me. It was obvious he wasn't  injured. He would of shifted by now... how did they find him then?

The skakis were closing in, I could smell the fear on him. He couldn't have been old. From his small stature and frail body he must of been around 14. One skaki pulled out a metal chain, the others held weapons ranging from guns to crossbows. These sorts of skakis. They don't kill the hybrids they think are useful. They take them back to 'train' them into tracking down other hybrids or fighting or some of them, The 'lucky ones', get sold off to the highest bidder. It's revolting. I couldnt sit back and watch this.

Not him.

Fuck Not anyone.

I felt my fingernails grow, the unmistakable tingling in my back, and the stinging of my eyes. This kid wasn't going with them. It doesnt matter if i get caught. But this kid won't have his life taken from him. I turned to Ash. Her eyes were already starting to glow blue, the symbols on her arm was burning through my black jacket. Dark blue etched onto it.

"Ash. get that kid out of here. heal him and take him to school. Or anywhere. Just get both of you as far away as you can." There wasn't anything to discuss. And she knew that. With a quick nod she jumped. Sprinting to where the boy was. I on the other hand let my wings grow. I didn't have my dad's red bat like wings. No. Mine where more of a Black fallen angels wings. However at the top and bottom had white horns sticking from them, i allowed my fingernails and teeth to grow. Then launched myself from the tree.

I wasn't planning to kill them. That would bring too much attention to this area. Just give Ash and the boy enough time to escape. By the time i got down there Ash was starting to defend the boy. I landed next to her, baring my teeth at them. Ash hesitated before she grabbed the boy by his shirt, fleeing whilst the skakis were distracted.