Chapter 5: Archery

When I didn't go to class, I would help Jay with the crib and Mary with whatever she needed. I didn't know that pregnancy made you so lazy most of the time. She tried insisting on doing chores around the house, but Jay had told her to rest most of the time. 

Though, when I wasn't doing anything, I would be reading the book that Jay had given me. It has taken me a while, but I had gotten further into the book. 

" How is the book Aria?" Jay asked one evening. I nodded, still into the book. It was the most interesting thing I have ever read. I then stopped reading and read over a line that confused me. 

'The elderly woman looked down at me with a death glare in her eye. 
" What are you doing here?" she demanded. I opened my mouth to say something, but quickly closed it back, afraid to make her even more angry.'

I had felt like something similar had happened to me when I was younger. Everything in the past was just pitch black to me. 
The door opened, signaling that Mara was home already.

" You're home already?" Mary questioned. Mara nodded and went to her mother. 

" Janet said she had something to do," she said. She also must have meant that she had gotten in trouble yesterday from when I found them when they're suppose to be in class. 

" How is the baby doing?" Mara asked. Mary sighed as she rubbed her belly gently. 

" They're doing fine. Though, they haven't moved so much recently." 
" Do you think something is wrong?" Jay asked. Mary shook her head. 

" The same thing happened to Mara. Remember? The midwife said that it was common and that they should be moving more soon enough." Jay looked like he didn't believe Mary, but he left the subject alone. 

" Do you want to feel the baby moving Aria?" Mary asked. I nodded. When I sat down at the couch with Mary, I knew that Mara was glaring at me. Though, I ignored her. If I said something, then Mary would be concerned. 

I lightly touched her swollen stomach. I couldn't believe that there was a baby inside of her, moving and breathing. It would seem like some kind of fantasy to me. 

" When you had Mara in your stomach...was it like this?" I asked her. Mary smiled as she nodded. 

" It's an amazing feeling. I can't believe your already grown," Mary said, looking at Mara. She nodded as she looked at me. 

Ever since I was found, pregnancy was the weirdest thing to me. Little bits of my memory were coming back. Some things made my head hurt as well, but I guess it meant something. 

                                                                                            ~

I walked with Jay and Mara to the back of the house. Mara had wanted to do some archery for when she got older and started to hunt. I had wanted to dis the idea, but Mara had glared at me, causing to me to go. 

" Alright," Jay started. "We're going to help you two focus on holding your bow straight. That way, you'll be able to strike the enemy instantly." Both Mara and I nodded. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. 

I thought about wanting to become something other than a hunter. 

" Did you ever shoot an arrow Dad?" Mara asked. Jay nodded.
" Your grandfather had taught me when I was younger. He was strict about it, of course, but he was very supporting about the whole thing." 

" Was grandfather like that when you met Mother?" Jay chuckled nervously before answering. 
" I guess. He was more strict on me about being a good husband and my mother was giving Mary teachings about being a mother at a young age." 

Mara nodded. " So, I'm going to be married when I'm twenty?" Jay sighed and handed her the bow and arrow. He then pointed to the target that was about five feet away. 

" Hit the middle of the target," he ordered. Mara nodded and kept her bow focused on that target. I didn't want to be next if he turned to me. 

Mara breathed deeply and shot the arrow. It hit the side of the of the middle. Mara groaned.

" I didn't keep the bow steady," she said. Jay nodded. 

" You're right. Next time do that and you'll make it." Mara nodded. She handed me the bow and another arrow. 

" W-what?" I stammered. " I didn't want to." She forced me to take the bow.

" Take it," she demanded. I whined and took the bow. I was too weak sometimes and people took advantage of me.

" There's nothing to be afraid of," Jay assured. I gulped and held the bow tightly. I guess there was nothing to be scared of. I put the arrow straight. I guess I was doing something good. 

I let go of the arrow. It hit the middle of the target. 

" Nice going Aria," Jay cheered. I heard Mara curse under her breath.
I smiled lightly at Jay. He was kind enough to everyone, but I didn't understand Mara's hatred toward me.