Chapter Twelve

Summer with the Blake Brothers

Chapter Twelve

Lexi’s POV

It was official; I loved watching Jeremy and Melanie play together. Melanie had invited Jeremy over early this morning before demanding that they were taken to the beach so they could play. We had warned Melanie to take it easy, but she seemed reluctant to just be a little kid while she could. I don’t think Jeremy quite realized how sick she really was, but even if he did, he didn’t ever say anything about it.

Currently, Mase and I watched quietly as Melanie and Jeremy were sat in the wet sand and began to dig with their hands. Every time the tide got up to them Melanie would squeal and Jeremy would laugh at her. It was amazing how easily they had clicked, especially since when they met Jeremy wasn’t all that nice to her.

As soon as Josh was put in a room with the boys, they instantly clicked. They immediately began talking about some baseball game that I hadn’t seen. Apparently someone on some team hit some amount of homeruns. And some team won the game. That is all I understood from their conversation.

Mason unconsciously drew small patterns on the back of my hand with his thumb. He was staring off at the little kids with a small smile. “What are you thinking about?” I asked.

“Melanie.” He stated simply. He turned his face towards mine and our eyes locked. “I wish we could go back to the days we were kids. It amazes me just how quick little kids can make friends.”

“I think they were meant to be best friends.” I sighed. “Maybe if she does survive this, by some miracle, they can go on to be something more.” I shrugged. Mason shot me a look, his eyes darting to something behind me and then back to me. I quickly snapped my head to the side to see Trent standing there. He was stood off to the side, his eyes cast onto his sister.

“You can’t talk like that in front of him.” Mason stated. “It’s not fair to get his hopes up about his sister not dying, only for her to pass away at the end of the summer.”

I nodded my head and casted another glance towards Trent. “I should apologize shouldn’t I?” I questioned. I faintly saw him nod his head. His grip on my hand lessened before I stood up and made my way towards Trent.