Chapter 5 - cat tales

The black licorice scent is so strong on Star's body that I nearly vomit. Mom and I are both such sobbing wrecks on our way out of the Wayne County morgue that I nearly miss the cop who keeps showing up whenever I have a run-in with my new gang-friends. He brushes past us as we're leaving. I register his scent but don't have a chance to talk to him. I'm not even sure what I'd say.

Mom and I ride in silence during the long trip back home. I can tell she wants to say more, but doesn't know how. Probably thinks I'm heading down the same destructive path as my sister. Whatever. Let her think it. If she were truly concerned about my future, she'd still live in the same house with me and my father.

I'm out of the car and in my room before she can stop me. I really have no time for mother-daughter time. I have punks to track down. Possibly filet.

No, I scold myself. You're not going there. You're not going to be a killer.

The trip to the morgue did offer a solution to one of my many problems. I'll tell Mom I lost my cell phone there. A new phone would be a priority. I couldn't carry it with me if I planned to bring out the cat, but keeping in touch with Antonio was looking like a good idea.

First, though, a new email account. I log into Dad's web host service and click on the "create a new account" link. It's through his business, so I can create as many addresses as I need, though he may question me about it later. I think for a few minutes and type in the new name.

misskitty.

I should probably come up with something a little less descriptive, but there has to be billions of email addresses with kitty in them. May as well embrace the new me.

The doorbell rings. I ignore it. Mom can talk to the UPS man.

But Mom calls up the stairs a few seconds later. "Darla! Someone's here for you."

Oh crap on a canary. Only two people know me here. And one's in the hospital. I close my laptop and slip downstairs.

Grant is not smiling as he waits in the foyer. "Let's talk."

Nice to see you, too. I glance toward the kitchen, where I hear Mom leaning on the doorframe, trying to eavesdrop. Yes, I can hear that. "Okay."

He leads me past his car and down the sidewalk toward the Frosty Freeze. Once we're well clear of my mother's house, he lights into me. "What the hell happened? You took her down there, didn't you?"

At least I pick the cute and smart guys. "Keep it down."

"You haven't heard up yet."

"She made me take her along. I didn't want to."

"She made you?" He stops and turns to face me. "You nearly broke a kids arm by grabbing it and hit me hard enough to leave a bruise on my arm that I've been explaining for two days and Jack was able to make you take her?"

"I thought beating her up would have an adverse affect on our friendship."

"How about almost getting her killed?"

I want to tell him to stuff it, but he's right. Warm tears run down my face. You'd think, being a shifter, I'd be through with all these girl hormones. "I didn't think..." I sobbed.

Grant looked from side to side, then pulled me into his arms. "Your mom told me about your sister. I'm sorry. Sounds like you had a seriously shitty night."

I cry against his chest. Any other time, I'd kill to be right where I am now. But it seems a shifter is not meant to enjoy close physical contact. Too many people dying or getting hurt around me. "At least I know where my sister is now."

"You tried to find her. More than I would've done."

"Liar."

We stayed like that for a few minutes before continuing our walk.  Grant bought us each an ice cream cone at the Frosty Freeze and we sat at one of the sticky tables.

"I talked to Jack's dad," Grant said. "Jack will be home this afternoon. He didn't give me any details."

Which meant that he wanted a few from me. I couldn't tell him anything, though. How could I? "I don't know what happened. She waited at my car for me, but when I got back from searching, she was gone."

"Did you call the police?"

Did I? I'm digging a deep hole with a lie-cast shovel. "Yes." Now that was a good shovel full.

"Did they question you?"

This would be an excellent time to feign a heat stroke, but it's only seventy degrees. "I...uh..."

A horrid noise trills from Grant's pocket. It sounds like screaming. He pulls his phone out. "Hello?" He listens for a few moments, his face growing more pale the whole time. Finally, he tucks it back into his pocket.

"You okay?" I put a hand on his arm.

He nods. "Yeah. That was a message for you."

My body stiffens. "For me? Who?"

"He said you'd know. He wants to meet you at the Tiger's game tonight. Ticket waiting at the will call window."

None of this makes sense. "What else did he say?"

Grant takes a long time to respond. When he does, I almost really do faint. "He says he won't kill the kitty. And it should be a lovely night under the stars."