Chapter 10: consequences

"Why the sudden interest in a slave my lord?"
"I put him there!" Atem glowers down at this man. "Why did you not have the competence to keep him there?"
"I'm sorry." The man apologizes quickly with a bowed head.
"Find him." Atem growls menacingly. "Or you will be the one taking his place."
"My lord!" The man says with fearful eyes.
"Leave my sight." Atem flicks his wrist dismissively. The man staggers to his feet and leaves the room. Atem's eyes continue to scorch into the empty doorway long after the man had vanished from sight.
"My pharaoh." Ishizu says softly as she bows before him.
"What is it?" He asks coldly. I flinch at the sound of his tone but Ishizu remains firm.
"Malik will be found soon."
"I know he will be," Atem says. "And when he is I want him killed."
"Atem!" I gasp in shock. His eyes briefly flick in my direction.
"What is it?"
"You're going to kill him?!"
"He wants to kill me!"
"But it isn't the end!"
"Does that really matter?!"
A shocked and hurt expression dawns my face at his words.
"Regardless, I have no desire to die."
"My pharaoh-" Ishizu interjects.
"Be silent!" Atem roars at her. She flinches and bows her head in silent submission. "You shall not interrupt me!"
"You really haven't changed have you?" I murmur softly. Atem turns to glare at me.
"What did you say?" He slowly rises to his feet. I say nothing as he looms over me. "Say it." He hisses into my face. "I want to hear what you have to say."
"You haven't changed at all." I say slightly louder. "You are still going to die regardless of your countermeasures because you have no regard for anyone but yourself!" Atem flinches at my words and the room falls into a deadly silence. The only sounds were that of the crackling flames and Atem's strangled breathing. I didn't even have a chance to breathe before I was on the ground cradling my wounded cheek. The imprint of Atem's rings clearly visible on my skin.
"What do you know about me?" He says softly. His hair shielding his eyes from view but I can feel the anger and sadness that hides there. "Get out of my sight." He says coldly. "I will deal with you later." Two guards roughly grab me by the arms, lifting me off of the floor.
Atem draws close to my face. "Apologize and none of this will have to happen." He whispers loud enough for only me to hear. He almost sounds desperate. I shake my head. He scowls and snaps at his guards to take me away. "Put him in his quarters and make sure he stays there!" The men bow their heads in confirmation and carry me out of the room. I don't dare to look back at Atem, but I can feel the weight of his gaze on my back until I disappear from his line of sight.

True to his word Atem had me sealed away in my chamber. I have three guards watching my doorway and even more watching my balcony from below. It is rather foolish of them, where would I go? It's not exactly like I can just walk out into the desert and hope to survive. I flop back on the bed. My eyes staring blankly at the stone ceiling.
A warm breeze blows through the room from the open balcony, ruffling my hair gently. I sigh. What has happened? I can't seem to wrap my mind around everything that has happened. Just a mere hours ago Atem was loving and adoring, yet now he is cold and unforgiving. Is there no consistency to his character?!
"He is still there my lord." One of the guards muffled voices carries through the doorway.
"I know he is." Atem says coolly. "step aside."
"My pharaoh."
Atem briskly walks into the room, his eyes glowing like embers. I don't move from my position on the bed. I am too numb to move anyways. If he wants me he can come to me. He looms in the doorway like a specter. Silent and serious.
"Yugi," he says softly. "Why did you disrespect me in front of my advisors?" I say nothing as he remains in the doorway. "Answer me."
"I simply did what you asked of me." I say emotionlessly. He flinches at my tone but remains silent, waiting for me to continue. My heart hammers in my chest.
"And what was that?" He whispers.
"For me to guide you." He inhales sharply and staggers forward.
"Yugi I-" I roll away from him facing the empty balcony. The thin rays of evening sunlight filtering through the thin drapes. His feet gently trod across the cool stone until his form looms over me. "Look at me." I remain motionless. His large hands grip onto my shoulders and roll me onto my back forcing me to look up into his remorseful eyes.
"What do you want from me?" I murmur.
"I want you." He replies softly. "But it seems that I'm losing you." I say nothing as I continue to stare into his remorseful eyes. "I didn't want to hurt you." He whispers as his fingers trace the contours of my cheeks.
"Then why did you?"
"I lost my temper." He admits, ashamed. "I lost control and before I could even blink you were already on the ground because of me."
"I suppose I deserved it." I mumble.
"No!" I flinch at the sheer volume of his outburst as he clutches onto my shoulders. "The only one who should have been struck was me... I am unworthy of you." I gaze into his eyes blankly.
"Killing Malik will not change anything."
"I know." He whispers.
"Then why-"
"Just to know that he isn't simply getting away with it."
"He won't." I say gently. "Fate has a cruel hand to play for those like him."
"Yugi." He nestles his head into my shoulder and breathes quietly. "I'm so sorry." I say nothing as my arms wrap around him slightly. My heart beating quickly in my chest as his deep blue cape drapes over our forms. We remain in silence for several moments. I cradle his form in my arms. His shoulders trembling beneath my fingers. "Will you forgive me?"
"I was never angry."
"But I-" I place my fingers over his lips, silencing him.
"That doesn't matter." He stares at me in shock, a small river of tears beginning to brim in his eyes. I brush away his tears gently with my thumb. "You never meant to harm me...and I know that. Just accept these moments while they last." My fingers slip away from his lips and his mouth hangs slightly open as he continues to stare at me.
"You're incredible," he murmurs. "Absolutely incredible." His soft lips press against my own. The taste of Atem coating my lips as we kiss. The feeling of his kiss makes me almost giddy. My sense of embarrassment being replaced with a growing sense of urgency as our kiss begins to grow more intense, and passionate.
I gasp against his lips as his hands roam over my body. His hands discovering every inch of my body.
"Yugi," he whispers before recapturing my lips. My heart hammers in my chest as he begins to remove my adornments. His skilled fingers disconnecting every latch and hook that held my clothing together. I blush furiously as he pulls away to kiss me on the neck.
"Atem," I whisper. "What are you doing?"
"Something I have wanted to do for a long time." He mumbles into my neck. "I know that you want to as well."
"Atem I-"
"Tell me now if you do not want this." He says seriously, his hands suddenly pausing leaving me tingling with the afterglow of his touch.
"Atem." I whimper.
"It is a simple question." His eyes scorch into mine. "Do you want this?"
"I-" I stammer, my heart hammering in my chest. My entire body is tingling with this ever growing sense of urgency as he holds me in his arms. The warmth of his breath sending chills down my spine and making me shiver. I drape my arms around his neck and pull him close, our lips crashing against one another. Atem smiles against my lips as his hands continue their journey across my body. His kiss and his touch sending me into an overwhelming state of pleasureful oblivion.

Silver rays of moonlight pour into the room, cascading over our bare forms. Atem's slims fingers drawing circles on my bare back as I stare at the wall. He is humming happily with his eyes closed as he lies beside me.
"Happy?" I murmur curiously.
"Overjoyed." He replies serenely. I blush at his words and hide my face from his view by burying my face into my arms. "How are you?"
"Sore." He chuckles lightly.
"That is not what I meant little one." He says with a happy tone. "How do you feel emotionally?"
"Happy." I murmur absently, struggling to restrain the blush that threatens to glow on my face as the memories of what just transpired flash before my eyes. "I'm surprised how wonderful that was." A pleased hum rumbles through Atem's chest at my words.
"Well you did sleep with a descendant of a God."
Laughter bubbles inside me and spills past my lips. Atem peers at me curiously before smiling fondly and watching me with affectionate eyes. I can't stop laughing. It almost feels as if every nerve ending in my body is being attacked with feathers. Just this overwhelming sense of giddiness has reduced me to this giggling mess. Atem's fingers stroke my cheek as I keep laughing. His eyes brimming with affection.
"Laughter suits you." He whispers. I blush at his words as my laughter slowly begins to die down. "You look so beautiful when you laugh like that."
"So I'm ugly when I'm not laughing?"
"Absolutely hideous." He teases as he kisses my nose.
"That's so mean." I pout.
"Don't forget who I am." He says with an affectionate tone.
"How can anyone forget such an arrogant pharaoh?" I tease lightly. He pinches my cheek and smirks.
"If I'm arrogant then what are you?"
"A lovable little boy."
"With his own overwhelming sense of pride." Atem mumbles.
"I heard that." I say with a frown.
"Oh no." Atem says with a faux anxious expression. "Did I anger the little one?"
"Yes." I say, pushing him over and quickly crawling on top of him. He peers up at me curiously as I struggle to pin down his wrists.
"What are you doing?"
I say nothing as I lean down and nip at his neck, aiming directly for the spot on his neck that made Yami weak. Atem gasps as my teeth graze across the sensitive patch of skin. His breath echoing erratically in my ears. I sink my teeth into his neck making him moan deeply.
"Yugi," he gasps. "I should make you angry more often."
"How the hell are you enjoying this?" I ask incredulously. "It's supposed to be punishment."
"Little one everything you give or do to me is a reward." He murmurs happily, leaning his head to the side exposing his neck to me. "Continue if you would like." I blush furiously as I release my grip on his wrists.
"I can't." He smiles up at me and cradles my face in his hands. His hands gently guide my face down to his, our noses skimming one another.
"I love you, Yugi." He whispers before pressing his lips against my own. My heart hammering so hard in my chest that I thought it would explode. Though if it did wouldn't matter, because I wouldn't trade anything for this moment. Not even death can tear me away from this man and his addictive love.