9. The Trial Part 2.

Day two of the trial started at 9 am, but Rafael and Cadence started their day at 5:30. They had been sleeping in the same bed since Cadence had gotten back, and only recently had they began to cuddle again. After their date, Rafael had set up an appointment with Olivia's old therapist for Cadence. He knew that the therapist was good, after all, Olivia seemed much better than she was a year ago. Maybe Cadence will be better by that time too.

When Rafael's alarm began to blare, he turned, quickly switching it off. Turning back to Cadence, Rafael watched her sleep for a few moments and gently stroked her cheek. They said their first 'I love you's' last night, and Rafael couldn't be more happy. He sighed softly, knowing she's have to wake up sooner or later.

"Hey," he whispered, gently rubbing her scalp. "Hey, Cadence. mi amor musical. Time to wake up."  Cadence groaned softly, rolling over away from Rafael with a small smile on her face. He rolled his eyes, smiling as he kneeled on the bed slightly.

"Cadence. C'mon. You need to wake up." Rafael rolled her back towards him, sitting near her feet. He gently rubbed her knee, smiling softly at her as she opened her eyes.

Cadence stared at the ceiling. "Today is day two, Rafi." She looked over to him, Rafael's face turning slightly somber. "Wh-what if..." Rafael shook his head, hushing her.

"They won't get away, I promise." Rafael gently crawled towards her, placing one arm to the left of her head. He gently kisses down her neck, letting his head rest on her collarbone. "I won't let them walk free, I promise." Rafael and Cadence lie there for a while, Rafael's head lying on her breast,  listening to her breathe. Cadence gently stroked Rafael's head, twirling his hair between her fingers.

...

The two arrived at the courthouse at 7:30, meeting with Olivia and Nick in Rafael's office. They reviewed the witness list, and both Nick and Olivia were supposed to take the stand today. Cadence was sitting on the table, while Olivia and Nick sat at the table, Rafael standing and pacing.

He had removed his suit jacket, his best showing his tummy slightly. Cadence honestly thought that his belly was... Adorable. Sexy. She knew he was self conscious about it, though. They would walk past a pastry shop, and Rafael would stop to look in the window, but never go in. She would catch him staring at himself in the mirror for moments at a time.

"Cadence? Hello?" Cadence snapped out of her train of thought, looking up at Rafael slightly. "Are you ready?" Rafael's hand gently rested on her shoulder, his thumb rubbing up and down.

She looked around at Nick and Olivia, before looking back at Rafael.

"Yes. Let's get these bastards."

...

First to the stand was the Medical Examiner..

Rafael stood, buttoning his suit jacket. "Ms. Warner, when the NYPD had eventually found Ms. Hampton, what condition was she in?"

"She was ... A mess. Bloodied, beaten, bruised. She had suffered enormous physical and psychological trauma. Rope burns along her wrists and ankles. Cuts along her breasts and abdomen, large amounts of bruising and trauma on her inner thighs."

Rafael paced slowly, arms behind his back. "And... These injuries are common with a rape victim?"

"Yes."

"Thank you." He turned to Cohen. "Your witness."

Cohen smiled his yellow, devil-like smile as he stood.

"Ms. Warner, How long have you been a medical examiner for?"

"About 15 years."

"So, you're absolutely credible?"