Chapter 6: Swing Low

Destry and I were on one of our little walks through the park. Our fingers were interlaced together. We swung our hands back and forth as we walked along the path that lead to the swings. Luckily, it hasn't been raining at all this week, but it still was cloudy.

"I never thought I would say this, but I sure do miss the sunlight" Destry looked up at the sky as he sat on the swings with me straddling his hips.

"Yeah so do I.." I sighed, leaning against the rope of the big toy.

"So I take it that you don't sparkle in the sun?" He joked.

I chuckled and shook my head.

"No Des I so do sparkle in the sun. I'm also attracted to pale, fragile human girls with a bird name for a last name" I stated sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes and smiled, leaning in to kiss my cheek then my lips. I smiled back into the kiss, but that soon faded once I sensed someone was near. And this someone was not human. I pulled away, my eyes darkening.

"Babe, Ryan are you alright?" Destry asked, gently placing a hand on my shoulder.

I held a finger up to his lips, telling him to be quiet. The someone was a male vampire, heading this way. I recognized his familiar scent of only pure death. It had been one I loved so much..one that never left my senses. It was a memory that stained my mind.

"Dax.." I growled, hurrying to take off my jacket.

"Put this on Des, hurry" I tossed my leather jacket at him. He looked confused, but did as he was told. I then took a whiff of him. My scent had only slightly masked his own. It would be enough to hide him from other vampires maybe, but not from Dax.

The soul taker had a strong smell for human blood. He could easily make out that Destry wasn't one of us. I sensed him getting closer. Quickly a grabbed Destry's hand and pulled him close to me. I started walking as fast as I could with Des almost stumbling to keep up.

"Ryan, what the hell is going on? Why are your eyes black?" He looked at me with concern blue eyes.

I stopped, taking a deep breath. He's close. Quickly I pulled Destry along, even faster than before.

"I have to keep you safe from him.." I whispered.

"Safe from who?!" His eyes widened.

Des's question was soon answered when a tall dark figure suddenly popped up in front of us. I pulled my love close behind me. His skin was white as snow and his hair was as dark as his cold undead heart.

"What the hell do you want Dax?!" I growled, exposing my razor sharp fangs.

"What does it look like I want doll? I want you and your gorgeous demon soul" he grinned, brushing his fingers against my cheek.

"Don't touch me you asshole!" I snapped, slapping his hand away "How dare you have the nerve to show your face around here again!"

"Ryan.." Destry whispered "..Stop don't make him angry"

Dax chuckled and stared at us both with chilling crimson red eyes.

"Who is this? I've never seen him before" Dax said, taking a step forward.

He shoved me away, his strength in the push caused me to fall on the ground.

"Hello there handsome, I'm Dax" he stroked Destry's cheek "Who might you be?"

"I..I'm-" Des failed to speak. He trembled slightly under the eyes of the soul taker, which made my anger rise. How dare he touch and frighten my baby!