One

I carelessly rubbed the cloth against the glass, watching a lot more people continue to poor inside. I shook my head. Don't these people have homes? It's 3 in the morning and they're still coming in strong.

I wiped my hands on my apron and leaned against the counter, watching a man about 5'5 in a black cap and leather jacket approach me. I set my hand on a glass, ready to prepare his drink.

I have seen him before. That's how often he comes to this place, I actually remember his face.

He smiled, "My favorite bartender. Lemme get the usual."

I cracked him a weak smile and went to fix his drink. His eyes burned a hole through me in the process.

I cleared my throat, "Here ya go."

He held the glass to his lips and sat on the stool, "Thank you, sweet lips."

I playfully rolled my eyes, causing him to quickly chuckle. "As if." The corners of my mouth eventually lifted to a smile.

"I've been coming here for months and still ain't catch your name."

"Zoe." I responded.

He smiled with a slight squint in his eye, "Zoe? That don't sound like you from here."

I shrugged, "Well, I'm not. I moved here almost a year ago."

"Oh." He nodded. "It's still a cute name."

"Thanks but I didn't catch your name." I continued.

"Just call me Jay." He said with much charm.

I smiled, "Well alright, Jay."

I seen his eyes lock with mine under the brim of his hat, "Aye, you single?"

"Yeah." I blushed, feeling him making an attempt to fabricate a pass at me.

I couldn't take him serious though. Did I mention he's here every night with a different female?

"Oh really? Someone like yourself single?" He shook his head. "Why are you even single anyways?"

"I'm not into dating. It just isn't for me." I confessed.

"Let me guess" he slouched, "a no-good, cheatin' man broke your heart?"

I let out a quiet giggle and shook my head, "Not at all. Almost all of my girlfriends when through a horrific breakup because of that. I promised myself I wouldn't let that happen to me." I shook my head, "These Compton boys are all a piece of work."

"Ain't everyone like that, though."

"Are you trying to get at something?" I felt myself grin a bit.

He flashed his pearly whites, "Look, I know you see me with these fast females but truthfully, a nigga is just trying to settle down."

I smiled, removing my apron. "Well, good luck with that."

He laughed, "Oh, that's how it's gon be?"

With a smile still wiped across my face, I grab my belongings from under the counter. "My shift is over, I best be leaving now."

"Let me at least walk you out, girlie. A pretty lady like you shouldn't be walking the streets at this time of night."

I graciously rolled my eyes at him and his cheesy remark, "Who said I was walking, Mr. Jay?"

We made it outside and continued to hold conversation, which was surprisingly pleasant.

"Well it's been fun and all, but I'm beat." I said, watching my feet in motion with him still beside me.

"Aww, baby girl can't hang?" He teased. "But it's cool. Same time, same place?"

"Sure, I mean I do work here." I laughed.

He smiled at me once more then went his separate way.

I honestly didn't expect him to be that cool. I guess it's true when they say; don't judge a book by it's cover.