Chapter One: Audrey

~S/N: This is one of my top-of-my-head stories, which pretty much is a story idea scarcely thought out and written down at the first idea for it. So while the raw version of it was decent, I revised it a bit, figuring I could do better. So I'm in the process of rewriting the following chapters. So please,re-read these. I can assure you, they're much better. Thanks!

- M.D.

~

There was absolutely nothing spectacular about high school, I can assure you that much.

As a kid you always watched movies like Mean Girls or High School Musical and you just knew for a fact that you would be in a kickass school like that. One with huge lunch rooms, working lockers, and random dance/song monologues that broke out in the halls or the cafeteria. There would be that dreamy guy that fell for you, and other dreamy guys who happened to be his friends who fell for your friends. Of course there'd be a blonde cheerleading bimbo who hated on you, but ultimately lost to you, and you end up taking her popularity. Then you'd be loved by everyone and attend all the games, dances, proms and every other school function. People just wouldn't get enough for you.

As kids in middle school you dreamed of high school. That's when you got your driver's license and met cute boys and got voted for prom queen. Things would be great because you were older and no longer in the awkward stage of learning about periods and bras and hormones. And then after 8th grade, you'd gab with your friends over the summer about what it would be like, look like, how the food would be better. Even about how you'd finally get honor roll for the rest of your four years and go to Yale or something.

As kids we were big dreamers. And we had one hell of an imagination, because high school is ass. The first thing that happens is you get a run-down of how horrible the classes you picked are going to be, especially when you're one of the douche bags who chose Latin as a language to study. Your mosh pit amount of friends is split apart in different schedules, therefore making new friends, ones who happen to not like you. The cafeteria lunch is just glops of grease and diabetes-inducers. There would be no random singing and dancing; they hardly let you play your iPod in the halls let alone sing aloud. You think you met the right guy and give him yourself, only for him to not only dump you but make you look like the biggest whore in school. Sometimes you do become the biggest whore. You get breakouts, gain weight, your hair breaks off, get less sleep, flunk your classes. And of course, the cherry on top would be the enemies you make.

As kids we all had an arch nemesis. That one girl or guy who just thrived in making you look bad in front of your peers. But back then it was simpler. Start a food fight, trip them while they're walking, and whisper stupid things about them. High school had amped up versions of that. And it was always a girl. Your enemy came with groups now, and had more tools. Social websites, blogs, cellphones, school events. They're usually someone who used to be your friend that turned into your enemy, and thus knows everything about you that pisses you off. We all have at least one of them. I had a bunch myself, but they've all simmered down into gossiping haters. All but one.

"Hey, look. She's staring at you again, Audrey,"

I hadn't responded. Maybe if I pretended to not hear her I wouldn't have to deal with it. But Sasha gave me a jab with her pencil and grabbed my attention. I glared at her, and she looked at me as though she didn't know what she was doing. She was one of my best friends, and I loved her, but that bitch knew what she was provoking.

I gave a sigh, glancing over my shoulder ever-so-casually, and made eye contact with a set of optics that were a well-faded blue. The physical mark of a blind person. Yet still the eyes of that girl from across the room seared into me, never breaking contact.

Sure, I sound stupid. I know you're already saying to yourself, "blind people can't even see, let alone stare, dummy," but if you had this girl in your class you'd understand that it's possible. I'd gone to school with her since elementary, before she lost her sight.

She and I used to be real good friends, but when she went permanently blind I guess I cut the ties from feeling so awkward around her. Because, not to sound cruel or ignorant, her personality altered the moment she came to school that day with a walking stick. And no, I don't mean she changed slightly. She changed her whole demeanor. Even dressed differently.

But unlike everyone else, I wasn't intimidated by the way she somehow stared at people (a.k.a. me). So I continued staring back at her like any other time, feeling my face contort into something unpleasant and overall unattractive each time because something small in the back of my head had me convinced that she could see. And I know she did, because she'd smile at me, and then look off into the distance. And that's just what she had decided to do after a long moment of staring each other down. Oh. Nowshe wants to act blind.

I turned back to face Sasha and Quinn who had a hard time settling their laughter. See, these two found it funny that I was the victim of supposed blind girl over there, and loved it whenever one of these moments happened. They knew how bad it irked me, because the feud had gone on so long. It wasn't just me. In fact, she started it. After we grew distant she targeted me. She'd shove me in the hall "accidentally," step on my shoes, anything little that got my attention in a negative way is what she used against me. And ever since, we've been at war with another.

"Yeah, chuck it up." I whispered in a snappy tone.

"Oh, hon', we're laughingwithyou not at you," Sasha placed her hand on mine in mock sympathy.

Quinn shook her head, clearly unable to keep that smile off her flawless face. "Not me. I'm laughing at you. My bad."

"It's all fun and games until you're gawked at by blind people." I muttered.

"Sadly I doubt that'll happen, since well, y'know, normal blind people don't try to stare people down." Quinn shrugged, absent-mindedly flicking through her paper back copy ofThe Tragedy of Julius Caesar."Wasn't she your friend or something? Maybe she has a crush on you from long ago and wants your bod'."

"Uh-oh!Go gittem girl!" Sasha said, and then threw her head back to laugh along with Quinn.

I sat in silence, seething as they simply mocked my dilemma. Mr. Peters was quick to remind my two friends of the importance of silence in study hall, and their laughter simmered just enough for only me to hear. To think, for just that moment I thought if they quieted it would've been better.

"Look," I leaned in on my forearms to lessen the gap between us, "You two find it funny sure, but this is getting insanelyannoying!And even if she had a thing for me it doesn't excuse it. I feel uncomfortable when she, stares at me like that. As if she actuallyseesme."

Finally the giggles and grins faded. They got serious with me, for once. Sasha shrugged, obviously lost for words. That's a first. But with Quinn that was never the case.

"Well, if it's that serious just go to guidance or something. I mean, sure I laugh at it but I will admit it is a bit freaky." Her eyes crossed the room to give the blind girl and up and down speculation. She grimaced, looking back over to me. "She was weird to start with anyways. Remember that day they found a knife in her backpack?"

This time Sasha cut in. "Yeah! It was so scary! We had to be evacuated and everything. What sort of blind girl carries a knife in her bag?"

"I heard she told them her mom gave it to her because she walks home from school." I mentioned the word I got around the time this happened.

Quinn quirked one of her perfectly-plucked brows my way. "What mom gives her daughter a bowie knife?"

My brows lifted and I adjusted my glasses, honestly surprised at what she told me. This happened just about a year ago. How on earth is she still in this school?

Sasha soon spat out what I was saying in my head. "Andhowis she still allowed here, again?"

"Naturally her mother pleaded with the board. So they took pity on her what with her, misfortune, and all. So she got off clean, just had to serve suspension and a bit of summer detention. I heard they let her off early, too."

"Well," I leaned back in my seat, pinching the bridge of my nose in slight irritancy. "At least now I know how secure our school is about their student's safety."