Chapter Four: Sunday Morning

I woke up to the sound of rain. The sun had been furrowed within clouds of gray, casting down bleak white light on my windowpane. I sat up; reaching over to flick off my lamplight and peel out of my jeans I slept in overnight. From what the sky looked to be, it probably rained all night. I stood and stretched a bit before leaving my room. The hall lights were off, and when I went further downstairs the rest of the lights were still off as well. No one seemed to be in the living room, nor the kitchen.

With the kitchen to myself I grabbed a gallon of milk (or at least what was left of it) and the box of Captain Crunch, as well as a bowl and spoon. Breakfast with myself on a Sunday morning was doable. Mom was probably at her office. And Dad must've been out with Matt somewhere, if they weren't home. I looked down at the cereal that floated about in my bowl, just realizing that I wasn't really hungry. I stood from the table, then headed back upstairs to snatch up my phone. While going right back downstairs I checked my phone and saw that Dad had called me about 20 minutes ago. I took the liberty to call him back immediately.

"Hey kiddo! Finished with your hibernation?" Dad's voice made the gray day of rain and thunder seem a little sunny. Dad's good attitude did wonders.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Yeah. I just got your call, where are you guys?"

"Grocery store. You mother left me a list since the fridge is barren."

"Yeah, I've noticed that too." I took another peek at the interior of the refrigerator. "We need more milk."

"Got it. We'll be home soon. You alright for now? Need me to pick up anything else?"

"Uhm, no I think I'm okay over here. Thanks Dad."

"Alrighty! See ya when I'm home kiddo."

I pressed End, placing my phone down on the counter, and just as that call ended, another came in from the house phone. I looked over as the scarcely used cordless rung like mad. I picked it up on the fourth ring. It was Dr. Strauss.

"Yes, hello?" I answered.

"Audrey, is it you?"

"Mhm. Hello Dr. Strauss."

"Oh, hello Audrey. I, was hoping to speak to your mother and father first, but I suppo - -"

"Oh, I'm sorry. They're both out but if you'd like I can give them a message."

"No no, I want to speak to you, while I have you. Listen, I'm sure you're aware of the severity of your condition."

My lips were parted to speak but I found that my throat was dry. I took a moment to lather my lips. "Yes, I am. Have you come up with an estimation as to when I'll become, permanently blind?"

"Yes. And to my dismay I have to say it'll be sooner than later."

I grabbed the edge of the counter. People are known to physically react to bad news negatively. I didn't want to risk fainting or anything. "Is that so?"

"Yes . . . Very soon. But I can assure you, things will be fine. You and I need to have another meeting. This week will suffice."

"Okay then," I breathed out, trying to level myself and fill the cracks in my voice. "When would you like to see me?"

"Monday would be perfect. Precisely after school time." His voice never wavered. "Directlyafter school."

"Can't we meet another day? Tuesday, perhaps? Maybe even Wednesday?"

"I'm sorry Miss Simmons however I have a tight schedule for the rest of the week. Monday is the only day I have available to speak to you. And Ineedto speak with you."

I could see where this would be a problem. Fine. I'd agree to go but then say something came up at the last minute. It wouldn't be lying, would it? No. "Okay, that's fine. I'll see you Monday."

"Good. I'll make a visit to your home instead. I'll be sure to inform your parents as well."

"Great. Perfect." He was going to make this difficult to get out of. I could manage. "See you then."

"See you then, Miss Simmons."

And he hung up before I could. I left the cordless back on its base.

Just then Dad and Matt came in, and I whipped my head up to greet them with a forced smile. I hadn't even heard their car roll in. How long had I been just standing there?

Dad waved as I came over, taking two bags from his hands.

"Thanks kiddo." He said, grateful as always.

I nodded, already setting the grocery bags on the island counter by now, and pulling out cans and bags and other products, sorting them for where they would be stored.

"Hey, by the way did Dr. Strauss call?" Dad asked, and I jumped, clearly not capable of keeping it less obvious.

"Yeah. He said he'd call back later when you were back. Didn't leave a message or anything like that."

"Oh. Alrighty then."

I left the matter at that and took the liberty of putting away the groceries. When I was finished is when I recalled I had a bowl of cereal still sitting at the dinner table, and went to clean it up. By then the floating Captain Crunch had become corn-based mush that broke off into bitty pieces, lofting in the milk of the bowl. I cleaned up the rest of that, putting the cereal and milk away then collected my phone from the counter. Two new messages. They would just have to wait. I would deal with the outside world tomorrow, when I had to personally face my dilemmas.