Chapter 2

In which we find out who, exactly, is the real criminal mastermind in this story. And plot actually starts happening.

You'd got dressed and ready before anybody else at the foster home had even woken up, and by the time you were out the door you were pretty sure your foster mother was only just stirring. In all honesty she didn't particularly mind your absence so long as you were back for lunch and dinner and curfew, knowing that you would always come back. It wasn't like you'd ever have any interviews for adoption in a place like that.

Domino was waiting outside for you, whining eagerly with his tail wagging so fast you were surprised he didn't take off. You greeted him happily with some chicken you'd managed to get for him from the kitchen while you were eating your breakfast, which he gratefully snapped up, following after you as you made your way down the alley behind the foster home in the direction of the old empty playground a little way away. It had originally been made for children living in the flats around it, until those flats had been converted into office buildings and the playground had been forgotten. You'd found it shortly after you'd moved in to the foster home, and thus far you hadn't even found anybody else there. As such it was your favourite place to practice.

Hence the reason the sound of footsteps crunching on the nearby gravel while you were hanging upside down from the monkey bars caused you to fall, landing heavily on the ground as Domino started growling at the newcomer. The man who had just arrived made no move to help you up, and when you looked up, it was easy to see why.

The man from the prison towered over you, eyeing you as if you were something distasteful that he would rather not have stumbled upon – which was probably true. You pulled yourself to your feet as Domino stood by your side growling, glaring at the man defiantly, though just as the night before he only seemed amused by your defiance.

"What do you want?" You grumbled at him, your stature making it clear you didn't appreciate his presence. "Are you trying to cause me more bother? Have me put in prison with you again?"

"Merely walking through you little ... thing..." The man responded dismissively. It was the first time you'd heard him speak. "Though I'll admit, seeing you fall off of your monkey bars was quite entertaining." His amused expression turned into a glare when his gaze moved over to Domino, and he grimaced. "Such a coarse creature you have for a companion. Though I suppose I should have expected as much."

Your frown deepened, and you couldn't help but step forward and kick him in the shin with all your might. He looked down at you in surprise, but it was clear that you hadn't hurt him in any way. You huffed and walked away, Domino staying rigid in his position.

"You're lost, aren't you?" You said finally, and he glowered at you as you turned back to him. "You're obviously not from around here, and seeing as you're on the run, the only reasons you'd be this close to the police station would be because you're stupid or lost. Though I suppose the first option is likely too." The man's death glare deepened, and you could practically hear his teeth grinding in anger.

"What. Are you saying?" He spat at you.

"I'm saying, I know this area really well." You told him. "I could help you get out of here. For a price, of course."

"Of course." He growled, looking around as if to ensure that nobody was nearby to see him in this humiliating position of being at your mercy. "And what, exactly, would that be?"

"You take me, and Domino, with you." You said smugly, and even Domino stopped growling to stare at you in horror at the suggestion. The man seemed stunned into silence, looking you up and down as if you had suddenly sprouted an extra head. "That's the deal."

"Well you can forget that." The tall man responded, moving past you in a way that indicated the discussion was very much over. Domino backed up as he approached, moving so that you were between the two of them and growling at him from behind your legs, hackles raised. "If you think I'll be bringing a snot-nosed brat like you along you have another thing coming. I'm not dealing with you for any longer than I have to."

"You're heading towards a main road and most likely a cop or two." You told him, not that fussed by his rejection. The man huffed and changed his direction, moving a different way. "Besides, you owe me."

He glared at you over his shoulder.

"For what?"

"Not only did you get me thrown in prison with you, I actually helped you escape by showing you how much of an idiot Alfred is." You reminded him, and he rolled his eyes before continuing in his new direction. "If you go that way you'll be caught again for sure. That's the police station."

The man actually growled in frustration, coming back to you and pushing past to go down another alleyway.

"Fine. Don't take me." You relented with a sigh. "I'll just go to that payphone down the street. Let Iggy know you're wandering around here lost. I might even get a reward." You realised, grinning and heading in that direction. "Well, that sounds like a better deal anyway."

The man had frozen at your words, glaring at your turned back in complete and utter loathing.

"Wait." He said finally.

"Nah." Was your response, your pace not slowing at all, Domino trotting alongside you. Even as you walked the man hurried to catch up with you, stopping in front of you so that you were forced to come to a halt also.

"Fine, you miserable little thing, you can come." By the expression on his face, every word he choked out tasted vile. "But you had best hold up your part of the bargain."

Your face lit up at his words – though you knew all along you'd bring him round – even as Domino became horrified.

"This way." You told him, grabbing his hand and pretty much dragging him the opposite way down the alley in the direction of the maze of back streets that led through the city outskirts. The man grumbled behind you, not liking this turn of events. "I'm _____ by the way. _____ <l/n>."

The man sighed.

"Curt De Vil." He conceded finally. "Though hopefully this new partnership won't last long enough for knowing each others' names to become necessary."

"I don't know." You commented smugly, "I get the feeling we're gonna be together for a long time."