8. Grand Magic Games: Day 3 and Secret Revealed

Erza's P.O.V

The guest for the Grand Magic Games day 3 was Lahar, Captain of the Rune Knights. The competition was Pandemonium, meaning an abode of demons. The participants were Gray Fullbuster from Fairy Tail A, Cana Alberona from fairy Tail B, Millianna from Mermaid Heel, Obra from Raven Tail, Hibiki Lates from Blue Pegasus, Jura Neekis from Lamia Scale, Novalli from Quarto Puppy, and as I said last night, I was the participant from Sabertooth. As I went down, I did my best to stay as far away from Gray as possible, fearing that he might recognize me even with my disguise, since he was one of the people who knew me best during my time in Fairy Tail. After all the players stepped into the arena, a huge black castle appeared from out of a dark purple magic circle.

"The temple where monsters nest... Pandemonium!" Chapati-san announced.

"It's huge!" Cana exclaimed.

"Where monsters nest, you say?" asked Jura.

"Yup. That's the setting-kabo," Mabo replied. "Within the temple are 100 monsters... Well, they're called that, but they're actually just magical tools that we've created. They won't attack any of you in the audience, so please relax. The monsters are divided into 5 levels of battle power: D, C, B, A, S. The specifics are like this: "

S X 1

A X 4

B X 15

C X 30

D X 50

"Incidentally... In regards to the strength that D-class monsters have..." he said, pointing upwards to reveal a screen where a silver monster knocked down a pillar.

"HIEEEEEEE!" screamed the audience.

"Ones like that, and even stronger ones than that... The place where 100 of them are lurking around, that is Pandemonium-kabo! As the class goes up, please note that the battle power goes up exponentially. The S-class monster has strength such that even one of the 10 wizard saints can't be guaranteed to defeat it."

"Hmm," mused Jura.

"In order, each of you will take turns selecting a number of monsters to fight with. This is called you 'right to challenge.' For example, if one chooses '3,' then 3 monsters will appear within the temple. If one succeeds in defeating the 3, that competitor gets 3 points, then the next challenger may exercise their 'right to challenge' among the 97 remaining monsters. This will continue until the number of monsters reaches 0, or all the competitors run out of magic power."

"It's like a counting game, huh?" Millianna commented.

"Exactly. Situational judgement becomes quite important. However, like I said before, the monsters have ranks, So be 1 monster or 5 monsters that you choose, it's a system where the monsters appear randomly."

"In other words, some sort of battle strategy to avoid drawing the S-rank monster is necessary, huh?" Hibiki said, smoothing his hair with a hand.

"If it's random, that sort of strategy wouldn't work then," Novalli pointed out.

"No, with probability theory and my archive, strategy will work to some extent," Hibiki replied.

We drew our lots, and I got #1. How lucky. I stepped in front of the temple and said, "All 100 will be my opponents. My right to challenge will be 100," surprising everyone in the arena, even Sabertooth, although they snickered upon recovering.

"T-that's impossible! It's not set up so that one person could possibly defeat all of them!" Mabo protested, which I replied with, 'I don't care.'

I stepping into the temple, which I found to be upside-down upon entering. "I, Red of Sabertooth, challenge 100 monsters," I said upon entering. Right away, a bunch of D, C, and B rank monsters appeared. "Requip," I whispered, drawing a sword from my Heaven's Wheel Armor that I had customized so that the members of Fairy Tail wouldn't recognize.