Below The Belt- Chapter 1

Not much to say about this story, you just have to read it and see what you think of it for yourself.

(Oh, and for once I made my own cover lol, so cover courtesy of moi :P)

***********

You know those days in life when you look to the stars and think about how lucky you are? You think that there is more out there, that you are just a small insignificant part to the revolutions of our big planet? Yet, you still have time to pause and realise that no matter how small you are, that you still count?

That brings me to fate, is it just a conspiracy designed to cloud our minds away from the reality of chance? To slap a label on something just because you can? Or does it actually exist? Was it fate that brought me to the realisation that no matter what you do, you die in the end? That every moment counts and if you don't live life when you are given it, then you are wasting what others would cherish with open hands?

What it comes down to is faith. For if we don't have faith, then what do we have?

~*~

The sound of the shrill bell rang in my ears, making my body stiffen. Wiping some of the sweat off my forehead, I turned back to face my opponent slipping my mouth guard back into place.

"You can do it Dawn!" My dad shouted, pulling strenuously on the blue rope that surrounded the boxing ring, the bright lights highlighting the drops of sweat that were trickling down his face.

Focus Dawn, I chanted to myself, feeling my heart beat erratically, the adrenaline being pumped around my body by the bucket load. Eyeing up my opponent carefully, I anticipated a right punch so I rearranged my footwork accordingly. With a side step I aimed a punch below the belt and my opponent went reeling backwards.

"Yes!" I screamed through my mouth guard, but my victory was short lived as I was quickly under the attack again.

Getting a sharp punch to my forehead, my head snapped backwards, pain spreading like a bolt of lightening. Amongst the scrutinising pain I felt blood trickle down my face, momentarily blinding me when it went in my eye, impairing my vision. My opponent took advantage of this, and a series of punches were thrown at my stomach, winding me. Coughing and gagging I found myself leaning against the rope next to my father. I quickly turned to look at him from the corner of my bloody eye. He nodded, telling me it was okay.

My stomach was on fire, each haggard breath making my mouth waver with agony. I can do this! I can't let her win. This is the final for peeps sake! Getting a newly found surge of energy I launched myself back into the fight, throwing a few useless punches before I got into the rhythm.

The fight was close, my body was screaming at me, telling me to stop, that is was nothing but fruitless. Yet I ignored the pain, ploughing on with my heavy movements.

Throwing all my weight into my right fist I pushed it up under her chin causing my knuckles to click with the impact. Her head ricocheted backwards and she immediately fell to the ground with a resounding thump, a groan escaping her bloody lips. The clock on the board ticked agonisingly slowly, the seconds decreasing the number on the board until the final bell rang signifying the end of the match.

There was a deafening roar as the crowd leapt to their feet screaming and cheering my name. I looked at the girl slowly being dragged off the ring and felt tears spring to my eyes. All my life I had dreamed of this moment and now that I had reached it I didn't know what to think. Hearing my name being called from behind me I turned to see my father beaming, a splutter of laughter leaking from his handsome face.

Joy overwhelmed my senses as I clung onto my father, wincing at the pain that was thundering through my bruised body as he clamped me in a hug. I didn't care though, this moment was mine and I wasn't going to let anything ruin it. I had done it! I had won the championships!