Below The Belt- Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Time passed slowly. The hand on the small white clock that ticked above the door moved only inches in what felt like hours. All I wanted was to leave the hospital. It just kept reminding me of dad. Every time a door opened somewhere down the hall I felt myself jump involuntarily, my nerves jumbled into a knot making me feel anxious and claustrophobic.

When the door opened to my room and a women, dressed in a mint green suit and greying hair scrapped up with a few crocodile clips, came hurrying through I felt my forehead crumple.

“Dawn!” the lady shouted, a stray tear escaping her eyes as she wrenched me off the bed into a stifling hug. Recognition crossed my mind as I picked out the familiar parts to her face; the Hebrew nose that had belonged to my Grandfather, the thin pallid lips and strong brow that reminded me of a teacher.

“Aunty Francis,” I cried, crumbling into her arms. It had been a long time since I'd last seen her -years in fact. We had both changed a lot in that time and I could hardly believe that she once again stood before me.

“Oh Dawn,” she murmured, stroking the back of my head, brushing the stray hair that had stuck to my cheek from my face. “I am here now, I am here for you.” Her voice was strong but her hands trembled against my back as she tried to comfort me in her own grief. “Shh,” she repeated as my chest started to rise and fall as I chocked on the tears I was withholding.

“My stomach hurts so much Aunty Francis,” I whispered, holding onto her shoulder for support.

“I know honey, I know. Now let’s get you out of here and into some warm clothes, hmm?”

I nodded my head slowly, feeling as if any jerky movements would make me topple over. I felt so weightless, like there was nothing in my body keeping me grounded anymore.

“I’ll be right back. I need to talk to the doctor’s for your release form, okay? I assume you have already talked to the police?”

I nodded my head again, remembering the two policemen who had come to ask me questions about his death. Having to recall the image of the man, the image I knew would haunt me for the rest of my life, was exceedingly difficult. The men were respectful and nice, but I could feel myself become hesitant and the words stick in my mouth coming out in stutters. When I could say no more they patted me on the arm and left, relaying their condolences. I had sat alone for nearly an hour after that, the whole shop scene playing over and over in my head like someone had hit the replay button continuously. In that time all I could ask myself was why?

“Dawn honey?” a quiet voice said in the distance. I opened my eyes and looked around me. It was dark, only the small light from the car doors giving me an indication of my surroundings. I had obviously fallen asleep on the journey to Aunty Francis’s house.

“Uhuh?” I said, stretching my arms above my head to release the tension in my neck from sleeping in a funny position.

“We're at my house now, do you want me to show you where you will be sleeping tonight before I bring your things inside?”

“Yes please,” I mumbled gratefully, pulling at the door handle and getting out of the car.

Aunty Francis led me up to the front porch, twinkling fairy lamps leading the way up the path so that I didn’t trip over the steps and cobble stones. Hearing the jangle of keys I took off my shoes so that I could place them in the hall out of respect, I didn’t want to appear rude.

“Just along this hall,” she said when we reached the top of the stairs. She guided me to a wooden door twisting the handle so that the door swung slowly open. The room was completely white, no colour on the walls, curtains or even bed sheets. It was just all one colour.